How do you like to camp?

kat74

Most of the camping sites I have gone are not crowded. Each site is apart from the other so every family has its privacy which is how I like it. Camping to me is getting close with my family members, everyone letting go and talking freely about issues. So privacy is important.

Remp

Going up a hill and camping when there's really nobody around with a few friends is the best. I hate campgrounds. Oh, and also, I don't have a car, and I think it's the best to go camping by feet or by bicycle. When I'm camping, I wanna run away from the big city life, and cars, and I just wanna be with mother nature.

mariaandrea

I prefer backpacking but I could never convince my kids it would be fun so I've stuck to car camping. I like quiet and privacy, so I have a few tricks I've used that usually work. We camp during the week and not on weekends. I research campgrounds extensively, including calling them up. Washington State Parks posts pictures of campsites so you can get a vague idea of privacy and what it looks like, plus they rate each campsite for privacy and other things and I've found their ratings to be accurate. Finally, I pick the least popular and most remote campgrounds and have found some real gems that way, including a beachfront campground that was practically empty in the middle of the summer. It was a rocky beach but good for clamming with oysters just lying around and lots of great hiking in the area, but not well known.

agoodwriter

When i go camping usually i'll walk into a deep forest and camp there.. There is really fresh air and only thing you can see is forest! .. That's what we love to do :) You should really try it sometimes.

dkramarczyk

In the past I've always camped in a nice large tent on crowded campgrounds. I'm thinking I may have to get a trailer and find crowded campgrounds that allow them because my children would sure enjoy the company of the other kids, but I would probably enjoy the comfort of a trailer more than a tent.

huullk

I camp for several reasons. One is because I'm too far out to get back, two is because I am on an extended hunt or a fishing trip that doesn't allow one to go home every evening. I've camped in crowded areas but I certainly don't prefer it. I'd rather listen to nature than six different genres of "music", screaming children, drunks, raucous laughter, fisticuffs, and automobiles.

I like the quiet, the scenery, and smells that do not include auto exhaust and someone else's barbeque grill.

HikerJoe

I prefer to backpack. But car camping is enjoyable too. That way, I can bring an endless amount of booze, food, shovels, lime, HF acid and duct tape.

Grandpa

I prefer backpacking but I could never convince my kids it would be fun so I've stuck to car camping. I like quiet and privacy, so I have a few tricks I've used that usually work. We camp during the week and not on weekends. I research campgrounds extensively, including calling them up. Washington State Parks posts pictures of campsites so you can get a vague idea of privacy and what it looks like, plus they rate each campsite for privacy and other things and I've found their ratings to be accurate. Finally, I pick the least popular and most remote campgrounds and have found some real gems that way, including a beachfront campground that was practically empty in the middle of the summer. It was a rocky beach but good for clamming with oysters just lying around and lots of great hiking in the area, but not well known.
Be sure not to tell anyone but me where this place is.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Sagebrusher

That's my favorite kind of camping, remote but with vehicle access and primitive facilities.

ppine

Forester
MarieA,
Boats can provide access away from crowds, and you are always on the water. The San Juans are spectacular in Sept.

mariaandrea

MarieA,
Boats can provide access away from crowds, and you are always on the water. The San Juans are spectacular in Sept.
I love the San Juan Islands and that's exactly when we go - in September after kids have gone back to school. When my kids were younger, I'd just write a note for them and we'd do a long weekend. Moran State Park has a few campsites right on a lake that are fantastic. We always camp near water - ocean, river, Puget Sound, lake... It's a must for us.

Grandpa

You just let me know if you're coming to Western Washington and I'll tell you where this place is. :tinysmile_twink_t2:
Fair enough, and if you come this way, I can share the location of a place or two off the grid as well.

I'll be hiking with some folks from Western Washington this summer and maybe next summer I just might be over there.

shaun

My preference is to camp in a tent, with no one around. The beauty of enjoying nature is the solitude and peacefulness of the experience. I do not go camping to meet new people, in fact, I want to avoid people, apart from the person I am camping with.