What is the worst thing about camping?

ppine

Forester
The simple solution for all of the above mentioned maladies is to change one's mental outlook and enjoy whatever comes. Go slower and live your days camping with purpose and thoughtfulness. Camping is an opportunity for re-creation.

If all else fails, bring a solar shower and take a bath. For bugs keep a smoldery fire, sew some headnets and smoke cigars. Once in No MN on the Ontario border, we were at a place called the Big Current, a fisherman's dream. It was so full of bugs all the girls were smoking cigars. I have a photo of it somewhere.

Last edited:

hikeorbike

I think "roughing it" when it comes to hygiene and the lack of electronic comforts are the worst things about hiking. Although I suppose it's sort of the point to go without these things!

littlefire

Ah, yes. I also don't like the rain while camping. Everything gets slick and muddy and wet and gross. Sometimes it can be peaceful, but not at three in the morning.

Judy Ann

Ah, yes. I also don't like the rain while camping. Everything gets slick and muddy and wet and gross. Sometimes it can be peaceful, but not at three in the morning.
I Love a Rainy Night!!!

In my case, terrible thunder and lightening storms just build confidence in my gear. It is a wonderful feeling to wake up warm and dry with the tent still standing! Of course I've pulled the old dog under the covers with me a time or two. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

I Love a Rainy Night!!!

In my case, terrible thunder and lightening storms just build confidence in my gear. It is a wonderful feeling to wake up warm and dry with the tent still standing! Of course I've pulled the old dog under the covers with me a time or two. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Tank and I hiked in to a remote hot springs in November. Places to set up were very sparce and the one I found had frozen ground. Oh well, I had my thick thermarest and down bag. Tank had his blankie to lay on. Next thing I know, tank was trying to cuddle and get some of that thermarest. A 112 lb dog is not fun to cuddle with. I shoved him back onto his blanket and presto, he up and dove head first into by mummy bag with me. Ever try to wrestle a big dog with both of you in a mummy bag? When I finally got him out, I was awake enough to realize that little hunk of blanket he carries was not keeping the cold from coming up through the frozen ground. I took all my spare clothes, towel, even my rain gear and covered them with his blanket, then he lay down and I put my coat over him. We got along fine after that. Now I have an insulated, inflatible dog pad for him and a bigger blanket. Spoiled mutt.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Judy Ann

Lol Grandpa! I can't imagine having a big Lab fit inside a mummy bag with me. That must have been quite a struggle getting the bag unzipped to get him out! Boots, coats, backpacks, now insulated sleeping pads....maybe Tank needs a polar tech shirt to sleep in! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

(My old dog got a winter coat for next season) :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I think "roughing it" when it comes to hygiene and the lack of electronic comforts are the worst things about hiking. Although I suppose it's sort of the point to go without these things!
Not being able to shave well or wash my hair. My head gets itchy and I can't stand stubble.
I can do without the electronics during the day. I do take a camera and my iPod, but only listen to a little music at night. And I have a backup battery so I can recharge it once if I need to call someone on the way out.

ejdixon

I agree with you Pathfinder! It really sucks waking up in the middle of the night while a downpour and everything is just wet and damp.

JeepThrills

I guess I would have to say bugs. I always seem to get bit by something and have some weird reaction to it. A few years ago I was bit by a very small spider on my finger and my entire hand doubled in size.

hummingbirdee

I really dislike using public restrooms when I go camping. As you can see, I am talking about camp ground facilities and not roughing it out in the wilderness. Some of the facilities have a lot to be desired. I am concerned about germs. I like my privacy when it comes to those sort of things. I like to brush my teeth and wash my face without anyone looking. That is the only thing that I don't enjoy about camping.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I haven't camped around other people since the nineties so there is always plenty of privacy. And there are plenty of bug deterrents in the form of lotions, sprays, citronella oil and a good sized campfire. If you're still having a problem, try putting more garlic in your diet. Mosquitoes don't like it.

ChadTower

I'm not sure if whiskey repels mosquitoes or makes me fail to notice mosquitoes. All I know is a few shots of whiskey and the mosquitoes don't bother me at all.

riza201saly

hahaha super agree to ppine.. go home is the worst thing of camping.. i will miss the activity and also the first time in your life that you try and do that particular things.

chuckdee

re

Pesky insects and the crazy funk that lingers in the tent after awhile. Packing up and leaving is probably the worst thing about camping.

chuck66

Traveling
The simple solution for all of the above mentioned maladies is to change one's mental outlook and enjoy whatever comes.
This kind of goes with mine. I really try to keep a positive approach to most anything, and when camping or whatever, if things aren't going all that great, I try to make the most of it. I can camp by myself and never get bored or get upset over the stuff that bothers most people. But if I take someone with me, and they aren't having fun, for whatever reason, then I'm not having fun. Whether it's my son, wife, friends, family, whoever. I can't enjoy myself if one of my co-campers is not enjoying themself. Other than that, I can deal with the bugs, sunburn, stickyness, etc.