Pets

littlefire

When we leave for a long weekend, we usually make sure our cats have a big bowl of water and a big bowl of cat food. Then, we'll ask someone to stop by every couple of days to check on them. What is your method for your animals?

bsmit212

Same for our cats. For out dog, try to take her with us. If we can't we will find someone to watcher her and/or a friend to stop by about 3 times a day to feed her and let her out.

However I did see the other week some folks that had their cat with them camping. This was new to me but pretty awsome.

carmen

Dogs always head out with us when we are local but if we head out of state we have close family that can stop by to keep them in a happy mood. Most times since family works close to our house they can pop in to check the cats and if they want to take the dogs to their farm we are fine by it (then they can play with other dogs).

Judy Ann

My dog travels with me or gets boarded if backpacking. I can't imagine the state of a tent with a cat loose inside chasing after all the bugs on the other side of the noseeum netting...bad kitty!

Hikenhunter

My dog travels with me or gets boarded if backpacking. I can't imagine the state of a tent with a cat loose inside chasing after all the bugs on the other side of the noseeum netting...bad kitty!
I'm just curious but why don't you take your dog backpacking with you? I only ask because I do the exact opposit of what you do. My dog stays at home or gets boarded when we go to the campgrounds but when I backpack I always take him with me.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

I'm just curious but why don't you take your dog backpacking with you? I only ask because I do the exact opposit of what you do. My dog stays at home or gets boarded when we go to the campgrounds but when I backpack I always take him with me.
My dog is 12 and she'll kill herself keeping up with the big dogs I believe. We go hiking together, but when I go with others I think it best to leave her behind. There are many places and trails where she is not allowed, and there are people who don't want to be around dogs when backpacking.

LoveTheWater

We usually have someone come by the house a couple times a day to check on them and make sure they have plenty of food and water on hand. We have both cats and a dog. Sometimes the dog will come with us, depending on where we are going to camp.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I used to have a snake. Best pet ever. Drop in a mouse a day or two before vacation, make sure the water bowl is full, and leave for a week with no worries. He died recently.

I'm glad I don't have a dog or cat to have to deal with... Although taking a snake camping would never work.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
...and there are people who don't want to be around dogs when backpacking.
Those are the people I don't hike with. Back when I still had a dog, that was the main reason I started solo hiking. I found I enjoyed the company better.

Joe S.

We have a cat and two dogs. They go with us. The cat LOVES being in the travel trailer, and the dogs do fine in the back of the truck. We are usually out and about during the day with the dogs.

mccallum

Camping; dog(s) go with. Cat stays home or goes to vet to get cared for. Bear loves to hike and well the little dog loves to hang out.

ejdixon

My sister usually brings their dog with them whenever they go out camping if they are using their Motorhome. But in the days that they would want to do some tent camping, they would usually leave their dog with me and my girlfriend to take care of along with all his stuff.

Hikenhunter

My dog is 12 and she'll kill herself keeping up with the big dogs I believe. We go hiking together, but when I go with others I think it best to leave her behind. There are many places and trails where she is not allowed, and there are people who don't want to be around dogs when backpacking.
I get that. Mine is 10 years old. I backpack mainly by myself and the people I do go with know Copper and have no issues with him. I only take him where he is allowed. If he's not allowed to go then I leave him at home or I pick a place where he is allowed to go.

carmen

What confuses me are long time hike and campers who have dogs and never bring them for no reason. Our dogs love anything outdoors, indoors, they just want to me around their people.

ppine

Forester
We only rarely travel anyplace we can't take the three dogs. One of these days we are going on the train across Canada and will have friends house sit and take care of the mutts.

The dogs are now in training for backpacking. This week the 15 yo BC did not even get stiff hiking in sand. The Corgis are not fast but can go all day. I have camped with a cat before. It is a challenge at first but gets easier.

For people with regular jobs- Why in the world would you board your dog for a camping or backpacking trip? That is one of the only times you are going to be around them 24 hrs a day. Please reconsider or give your pet to someone that can devote more time to them.

Last edited:

Cappy

Our Dogs are our almost constant companions. They love fishing/boat riding so much we hafta spell out b-o-a-t or else they get all excited and try to push us outa the house with their noses. Took the boat to the shop the other day and they yowled their heads off thinkin I was goin fishin without them. local trips, they are always with us. Long road trips we board them at a wonderful place they always are so happy when we pick them up and the lady post videos on line so we can check on em from the road.

rubbersoul

i have a 7 month old puppy who i plan to bring with me camping this year. i've been camping with dogs before, but never my own. i think it should go over well, she's very well behaved and doesn't bark at random **** so she shouldn't bug any of the other campers.

i'm still working out all the gear i'm going to need for her. So far i have:

Sleeping pad
Bowls
Brush
Chew Toys
Fold-up Den
Food
Frisbee/Balls
Leash
Poop Bags
Tether pulley system
Treats