I love Climbing Ben Nevis

andyspeake

Hi Everyone,

One of my favourites places to go to is Fort William and climb Ben Nevis.

Its a great day out, starting nice and early (Sometimes after camping in the Red Squirrel Campsite 20mins away) Climbing up to the top and enjoy the stunning views. Making the most of the sense of accomplishment getting to the top. Making the way back down. Finish in the Ben Nevis in for a Pint and Some Lovely Grub. Thats what makes me happy in life :)

Have any of you guys been this way?

Andy ;)

ponderosa

Well hurry and make six more posts so we can see those pics! My heritage is Scottish (Lindsay clan) and Welsh as well, so a trip to those fair places is on my list of things to do someday.

Joe S.

I have never been much into climbing. Many people really dig it. What is it about it that you really like? I'm kind of clutz, which is why it's really not for me.

Eppo

Written on the summit of Ben Nevis

"Read me a lesson, Muse, and speak it loud
Upon the top of Nevis, blind in mist!
I look into the chasms, and a shroud
Vapurous doth hide them - just so much I wist
Mankind do know of hell; I look o'erhead,
And there is sullen mist, - even so much
Mankind can tell of heaven; mist is spread
Before the earth, beneath me, - even such,
Even so vague is man's sight of himself!
Here are the craggy stones beneath my feet, -
Thus much I know that, a poor witless elf,
I tread on them, - that all my eye doth meet
Is mist and crag, not only on this height,
But in the world of thought and mental might!"

John Keats (1795-1821)

Eppo

I climbed Ben Nevis in January 1974 via the Gardyloo Gully, arguably the easiest ice climb on the North Face of Ben. There are several videos on You Tube showcasing this classic route. !n 1974 I only had one tool, a straight pick long handled Stubai ice axe. I sure would have liked to have the gear people are using now. We had to tunnel up through the cornice at the summit. I will never forget that climb. We walked down the 5-mile trail available for walkers. Ben is the highest point in the British Isles. Scotland is where modern ice climbing was invented in places like Glen Coe and on Ben Nevis.