Why Don't Some People Like Inflatable Beds?

Mudder

I've seen a lot of people complain about air mattresses because they say they leak. I've had 3 department store air beds in my life, and this last one has lasted well over 2 years, and it was less than $30. The first two were Ozark Trail single size beds (no velvet). They each lasted about 30 sleep sessions. Worthless. I then got a Coleman single-chamber queen single high air mattress (with velvet on top). I think it's thicker than the other cheapos. This Coleman is still a cheapo, but I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I use a egg carton shaped foam mattress topper and it's as comfortable as my brand new plush queen bed at home. There was a point where I actually slept on this inflatable for over 4 months, with my doberman. I'd have to "top out" the air maybe only twice a week to keep it full, but it really didn't lose hardly any air at all, and still doesn't. I've noticed while camping though, if I fill it on a warm day, and the night becomes cool, it seems to deflate a bit more, like a car tire would do, but still not much. Keep in mind that I did wrap the mattress with a king comforter to protect the sides and top from my dog's claws, and then I had a fitted sheet over all that, including the foam.

I've personally seen no complaints of my cheapo Coleman so far, and I've used and abused it to a great extent. No holes, no patches, nothing.

Why all the complaints on the camping forum sites about inflatable beds? Did I get lucky with a gem?

Attachments

Grandpa

Grandma likes the durn things. Even tho every time I lay down it catapaults her into the ceiling of the tent. Then when she comes back down, I get thrown for a loop.

Big dislike about air beds is they pull body heat too rapidly when camping. Figure about a 15 degree difference between an air bed and an insulated pad.

Mudder

Grandma likes the durn things. Even tho every time I lay down it catapaults her into the ceiling of the tent. Then when she comes back down, I get thrown for a loop.

Big dislike about air beds is they pull body heat too rapidly when camping. Figure about a 15 degree difference between an air bed and an insulated pad.
I've never had a catapulting experience :). I don't camp in winter yet, but doesn't an egg foam pad help? I stay nice and cozy with my setup.

Lamebeaver

You've sort of answered your own question. People don't like them because their only experience was with cheaper models that leaked.

rubbersoul

yeah, i've always hated them in the past. reason being i've used cheapos that leaked and suffered catapulting and waking up with my nose touching the ground.

since then i've gotten an aerobed with a built in pump for camping (queen). the thing is so comfortable i haven't picked up my insulated self-inflating pad since. it's going on 3 years so far and still holds air like a champ. i top it off before bed every night usually because of the temperature drop effect and have yet to wake up to a saggy bed. i think the bed cost about $70 or $90. better price than my single person self-inflatable pad...

RandySki

I don't like them because when it gets cool at night, the air in the mattress contracts and it feels like it's lost air. Eventually, it feels like I'm sleeping on the ground.

IndianaHiker

The egg crate will help but for thermal protection better off having something between the mattress and the ground.

Edited to add:
The problem with the egg crate foam is that it is an open cell foam. This allows heat to travel through the foam and reduces the insulating properties of it. For thermal protection you want to use closed cell foam. May place a couple of the cheap, thin blue pads under it and find that this works better.

Last edited:

Mudder

I see. Thanks for the info guys. I've thought about using those piece-together foam padding squares for the floor anyways for if I was to bring the doberman along. And he's quite the heater too if need be haha.

Ugh, just more stuff to bring and setup during car camping :)

Grandpa

Ugh, just more stuff to bring and setup during car camping :)
Hence, under the KISS concept, just bring a good, thick self inflating insulated pad and a good bag. Even my dog has his own self inflating pad, made just for dogs.

Bojib

I don't like ours because it is just something else to take up valuable space in the vehicle when going camping. My wife likes it though, so we pack it along with everything else.

During the summer time, I don't mind the whole heat loss issue with them though. I sleep hot anyway, and anything to cool down on a warm night is welcome.

Backroad Joe

They don't work for me for a couple of reasons. First, and most important is they are cold. Not an issue in the summer but I the winter I do a lot of desert camping and temps can get into the low teens at night. Second is they don't hold up. Most of my use is out of a jeep. Have to pack light and sometimes the conditions are rough. I need something durable.

BTW after trying every type of under the bag product my Therm-A-Rest is by far the best. Been using it for ten years now. Sturdy, warm, comfortable.

AK Hunter

I use one that you pump up & plug off the hole.
Then in the morning it looks flat, but that is better than the new ones that have a pump inside of them that keeps them up all night.
The problem is the motor kicking on all night long keeps me up too, so why go to bed if I don't get to sleep? :tinysmile_sleep_t:

ChadTower

I have probably the same model Coleman he has. I hate it and won't use it. My wife does use it but I prefer my cheapo sleeping pad. Part of the issue is what air pump you use. We have a cheap 12v pump and it doesn't put enough air into the mattress to make it firm enough for two adults. If you are underinflated then whenever one person moves the other gets thrown. I got sick of my wife rolling over and me ending up moving 4" up/down. The thing would have to be topped off every other night, too.

That and my back hurts after a night on an air mattress. The ground, no problem, but that inflated mattress makes me want to go home early.

campclose

That is my #1 complaint too. I have bought several air mattresses and they have all leaked. I actually have not found a comfy one yet. I never thought about the egg carton mattress thing. That actually might work. The heat problem is not a problem for me. I camp in the summer.

hikeorbike

They are not very comfortable, they are a hassle to setup and breakdown, and if they get even a tiny hole, you're screwed. There has to be a better way!

Newanderthal

At home I sleep on a Thermarest self-inflating pad. It's about 2 inches thick. I find it more comfortable than the air mattresses and more comfortable than a spring mattress.

emilyblack06

I always bring inflatable bed every time I camp, Its very easy to bring, and the best part is that when you sleep, you can really have a good time dreaming and drooling and everything. :)

carmen

The only reason I am really against them is because I am messed up for life when it comes to back and neck issues. I have yet to find one that supports me in the way I need it. Maybe I need to shop more?