Grilling or roasting?

aldove

Can anyone explain the difference between grilling and roasting? I'm a little confused on what to do with this chicken thighs for dinner, half of the members of the family wants them grilled, while the other half wants them roasted. Is it possible to roast and grill the meat at the same time?

oldsarge

I think that grilling is on a grill with an open flame and roasting is done in an oven in an enclosed container like a roasting pan. I'm sure there are other techniques, but I'm not a trained Chef by any means. I stick to the simple stuff...get it hot and eat it!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Grilling is something the police or military does when they want to get answers and involves incessant questioning. Roasting is when a bunch of your peers get together and throw a dinner party in your honor and then make fun of you in a good natured way.

Seriously, there is no difference. Grilling involves an open grate to the heat source, no moisture added. Roasting is the same and can be over an open fire.

Emily

Novice Adventurer
Dang, Dinosaur beat me to the answer! :) I would not know the difference between grilling and roasting chicken, because in the South we only have chicken one of two ways. The first way is fried, the second way is deep fried.

clewand550

Dinosaur is absolutely correct. Roasting can be done on a grill or in the oven. Both of them are considered roasting.

JenVarsity

Grilling involves direct, radiant heat, and tends to be used for cooking pieces of meat quickly.

Roasting uses more indirect, diffused heat. It is suitable for slower cooking of meat in a larger, whole piece.

littlefire

If I were to grill the chicken, I would put it on a grill plate over a fire (assuming we're talking camping). For roasting, I would put it in a sauce pot with a lid and some liquid and let it cook for a few hours. Grilling takes much less time.

danny28

We have only ever roasted in the oven - see you learn something new on here daily. Love the key elephant crack! We tend to grill more often all year long.

I've never been to a good roast - would love to though.

oldsarge

How about some Glenfiddich and a cigar...never been much for elephant.

Cappy

Glen what Sarge?? sounds like sumthin a fella in a Kilt would drink. Us country boys are more into anythin home brewed and anything grilled roasted or any way if its cooked in the woods.

jerry_too

I'm thinking grilling would be more like cooking a hamburger or steak on a grill, uncovered, fast and over a hot fire. Five to ten minutes for a burger or steak.

Roasting, in a camping environment might be slow cooking something covered to hold the smoke and heat, low heat or less coals or even better a good smoking wood,, hickory or pecan. Slow cooked BBQ chicken for example or pork roast.

Roasting at home, to me, is in the oven set at about 350-375 degrees as in turkey and roasts for a couple of hours or more.

Roasting in a camp site to some might be sticking a hot dog on a stick, or straight coat hanger, and holding it over, or near, the camp fire.

uday

Grilling a meat is like those scenes I've watched from Boy Meets Grill. Roasting is like a chicken being roasted at a roasting chamber of Kenny Rogers restaurant. Sorry I don't know how to explain the difference clearly but I think that's how I see them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It's all semantics. Put a beast on a spit and over the fire and it gets roasted. Put it on a grate over the fire and it's grilled. Not a lot of difference is there?

And, Cappy, it's Glenfiddich. It's a Scotch whiskey. Country or not, it's smooth and I'd bet you'd like it.

Yhonny Yuma

My cooking over a open fire has been great the flavor of steaks ribs chilli even veggies they seem to have a better teast I use pecan and oak and a cold one in my hand while the food cooks,LATER

monde

Roasting is when I see a chicken twirling horizontally over a fire and grilling is when a meat is laid there on the grate to get itself grilled. Not a fan of learning both methods but I would love to eat any food that is roasted or grilled.