What kind of eating utensils do you use...

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I think I've asked this before, GD, but what sort of knife is that? It's just the sort of thing that I really like.
Michael, that piece is an Allen Blade Packpal Scandi. I don’t think he has made knives for some time now but it is a good one. I have a few Scandinavian style knives and usually take one of them along for my dedicated wilderness knife. Most of the time I take a more traditional model but this American made knife does go along at times. It was with me on a desert reef adventure. I managed to get a little reading in on that trip too.

As for the original question, I have a set of titanium flatware like you. Mine is Snow Peak. That is what I have used for the last 10 years. Some may view it as old school but I like metal for several reasons and tend to use that for all my culinary wares like cups, bowls, plates and the like.

Michael

Michael, that piece is an Allen Blade Packpal Scandi. I don’t think he has made knives for some time now but it is a good one. I have a few Scandinavian style knives and usually take one of them along for my dedicated wilderness knife.
OK. Thanks. I'll have to keep an eye out, because that's a very nice looking item.

Grandpa

a nestled two cup with lid by Brunton, just the right size for my fuel cannister/lighter/mini-multi-tool/small strip of scotch brite and a lexan spoon are all I need.

shaun

I'm not keen on using plastic utensils because of the BPA. BPA reacts with heat and leaches from the plastic, into your food. I take 3 basic utensils with me - a metal spoon, a metal knife and a metal fork. That's all I need.

ladymtnwalker

We use sporks, one end is a spoon, other end is a fork and a has a serated type edge for cutting. Also, purchased a long handled spoon for stirring.

For dishes, cups we use Orikaso and REI infuser cups. LOVE THEM! Maybe a bit heavy, but the cups keep my coffee hot ALL day. No Joke!

Last edited:

familytents

I bring all disposables, except for a few sharp knives. The least things I have to clean, the better. When camping, I like to keep things simple, practical, and work free as possible.

Sute

I just have a little pan, my knife and a little metal spoon. When I'm with other people I usually take a couple of extra things in case someone needs something.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
My cook set came with a snow peak titanium spork. I love it... It's a fork with tongs that are two short, and a spoon that leaks, but it's still my favorite. It cleans easy and won't break, and I don't have to fling stuff at the BPA whiners.
That and my 15 year old $20 rostfrei folding knife I carry everywhere will get me through pretty much any meal I can inflict on myself in the woods. I do a lot of "freezer bag cooking", (put hot water in a freezer bag with dried food and let steep). Eating right out of the bag keeps me from having dishes to clean.

shaun

I carry a knife and fork. I don't bother with a spoon. If I have made a broth or soup I will drink it rather than use a spoon. I don't need many utensils when I am out camping, most of the food I eat doesn't even require a knife and fork.

Yab9

We use regular spoons and a knife that we share. I don't carry forks because I can manage to eat up anything with a spoon and since we're only camping in two's, one knife is enough, there is no need to carry more eating utensils.

Last edited:

Esperahol

I have a steel set of 1 knife, 1 fork, 2 spoons, a tumbler, a pan, and 2 bowls. I don't always take the whole set, but it has served me well for a while now.