Charging phone/batteries/laptop ?

Yab9

When you go camping and need to charge something where do you do it? I only need to charge my phone but that happens rarely since I switch it off most of the time. Where do you usually charge your stuff when you're out camping ?

IndianaHiker

I dont. However I backpack and do not car camp very often. Being a backpacker if I wanted to make sure that I have extra battery power I just carry extra batteries. An extra cell phone battery weighs less than a solar charging unit.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I made myself a recharge station out of a small portable solar panel and a lithium ion battery from a hobby shop.

The device is about 10"x10" and can recharge the internal battery in about 3hrs. I keep it in the mesh of my ruck which allows it to charge from ambient light. Not nearly as efficient but after hiking a few hours and setting up camp for the night it's usually up to 100%.

Last edited:

carmen

We carry extra batteries too but most times if the place something we are traveling a good bit to get to first we will charge on the way too. I would never bring a laptop, extra SD cards for the camera yes and maybe one for the phone but nothing else.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I don't. The idea of bringing a laptop on a hike makes me cringe. My camera will run for many days off a single charge, and my phone stays off unless it's at night and I'm trying to text home. I don't make calls. I can stretch it for days this way. I have a car plug though, so if it's dead I can plug it into the car when I get back.

Hikenhunter

We use a Duracell powerpack 600. It is basically a 12 volt deep cell battery with a power inverter so you can plug in appliances that use 115 volt AC or 12 volt DC. I bought it mainly to reduce drain on my car battery when pumping up my river tubes and because it can be used to power tools when working where there is no electric available.For small jobs around the house it is easier than running extension cords, and it also can start your car if you have a dead battery. While there are many power packs on the market I bought ours because it can be recharged with AC household current or it can be plugged into the cigarette lighter of your car and it will charge from your car battery while you are driving.

TroyS

If we go camping with the whole family, we do the charging in the Motorhome. If it's just me and the boys, we don't.

Newanderthal

Phone is off the ENTIRE TIME. The only electronic devices I use are a camera and my LED headlamp.

shaun

I don't take a laptop when I am traveling. I associate my laptop with work and connection with the world, that's exactly what I want to escape when I go camping in the wild. I take my phone and make sure it is fully charged before I leave.

Have you considered one of those portable chargers?

campclose

We mostly camp at campgrounds and they always have power/electric somewhere. So we take 1 charger and charge our phones. We don't take laptops or anything else with us.

TroyS

I don't take a laptop when I am traveling. I associate my laptop with work and connection with the world, that's exactly what I want to escape when I go camping in the wild. I take my phone and make sure it is fully charged before I leave.

Have you considered one of those portable chargers?
Same here. Unfortunately, there are times I really need to. It's my bargaining tool so that I can be able to take a longer leave from the office. I just make sure to be really disciplined, and not to use it until they are asleep so that it doesn't get in the way.

Esperahol

Who takes a freakin' laptop? I take a cell and a camera both of which last quite a while off a single charge. No need for charging - so long as I remember to charge before I leave home.

EmberMike

I'd rather not take a phone with me, but if it was for a long trip and necessary, and I wasn't concerned about gear weight, I'd take a BioLite Stove. I can't post a link or photo because I'm new her, but just Google "BioLite".

It's a small wood-fueled stove that generates enough heat to boil a pot of water over the open fire and creates energy to charge any USB connected device.

46u

I go rig camping (motorcycle with sidecar) and I have ports just for charging things like phone and lap top that is in the trunk so I can even charge in the rain. My Knees are go bad I can not walk far now and is one reason I put the sidecar on. The doctors tell good chance I will be in a wheel chair in 4 to 6 years but I will not let that stop me.

Attachments

Barney

I will usually bring my phone but it will be off the entire time. For the rest of the devices, I bring enough either primary or secondary (rechargeable) batteries.

Gondor

I've looked into a few solar charger options for the reason you are speaking of, but I still haven't find a good and affordable solution for my setup.