The Mushroom Hunter

JeepThrills

I pulled up next to a car yesterday that had "The Mushroom Hunter" on the doors and a tag that said "Morel Mushrooms." I ran into the guy on the way back to my car and started talking to him. There is actually a club around here that hunts for mushrooms. I may have to visit their website to get more information.

Judy Ann

I'd do the same if the opportunity presented itself. There are many folks that praise the powers of fungi.

TroyS

Oh wow! That's making me hungry here, Hikenhunter. I wonder though if these clubs will be willing to teach complete amateurs like me. I sure would love to be able to pick a few Morels during our camping trip with the boys and then cook them right in the campground.

JeepThrills

I'm going to look at the website this weekend. The Morel mushroom is suppose to be an excellent mushroom for newbies to hunt. I guess there aren't any poisonous mushrooms that it resembles.

Esperahol

It's less that it's unique then that the lesson isn't easy to fudge. Once you get the handle of picking them out, you've got it down. I would know as someone with a history of learning blocks.

oldsarge

I thought this was some kind of remake of "The Deer Hunter", Back in my military days we would play Beer Hunter. We would all gather round the table, one guy would secretly shake one beer can and place it among all the others. Then we all put the can to our heads and pull the pop top (yes I said pop top, I'm that old, so what!). What a great game when you're half lit!

hummingbird

I love morels! We call them dry land fish here and usually bread them and fry them up. I haven't had any for several years now and I've craved them. We used to go hunting and even had some coming up under an old pine tree we had in the yard.

Jeep Thrills-there is a false morel that you can find out there but I'm not sure if it's poisonous or not.

Yab9

I love mushrooms so much! But I prefer to buy them at the store. I'm always afraid I'm gonna poison myself one day if I pick them up myself.

shaun

A mushroom hunting club, now that is cool! I would join a 'mushroom hunting' club if there was one near me because I am interested in foraging and I love eating mushrooms. My knowledge on mushroom foraging is basic so it would be good to learn from more experienced foragers.

JeepThrills

I love morels! We call them dry land fish here and usually bread them and fry them up. I haven't had any for several years now and I've craved them. We used to go hunting and even had some coming up under an old pine tree we had in the yard.

Jeep Thrills-there is a false morel that you can find out there but I'm not sure if it's poisonous or not.
Well, if it is poisonous that is probably the one I would pick! I won't go foraging until I find someone who can teach me what to look for! I left the guy's card in the car, but reading these posts just reminded me to go out and get it!