Shrimp or Squid

mamabear

Which do you prefer using for bait? Shrimp or squid. I have used both and I do believe I prefer the squid. It seems to stay on the hook a little longer especially if you are surf fishing.

Judy Ann

I guess it depends on what you are fishing for. Shrimp for Redfish and flounder after casting for them in the back creeks of SC, can't even remember what we used the squid for anymore. Probably as backup bait if nothing else worked.

LunaticFringeInc

For Red Fish I would likely perfer Shrimp, but otherwise I am all about using squid in just about every other situation. There aint too many things that are as good as a Jig tipped with a cut sliver of Squid for some added flash and action not to mention smell and taste.

Barney

I believe that there is a good recipe for preparing squid to make it more soft. My wife always says it's like eating a rubber chicken, whatever that is. :)

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Squid, always catch something with that. Shrimp seem more hit/miss. There's always something that'll hit on squid.

campclose

I have never used either. Heck I don't even know if they sell squid around here. What are you fishing for with shrimp or squid? Whatever happened to just plain worms?

Laffeet

We usually cast net for live bait minnows. But sometimes we get frozen shrimp or squid from the bait shop. The shrimp goes mushy pretty quick, and flies off the hook when you cast. The squid stays on good, but is slimy to touch and will permanently stain your clothes. I catch more with squid.

Taipan

Squid is better for bottom fishing most of the time. Shrimp is better for off the bottom fishing. For shrimp, I like to use a small weighted jig instead of a plain hook. The squid is messier but stays on the hook better than shrimp.