What do you like most about camping ?

Yab9

I can't remember for sure when I first camped out by myself but I know I love it and every time I go camping I feel alive and refreshed.

What's the thing you love most about camping ? The fresh air? The adventure? The backaches ?

Last edited:

Eaglescout 49

Just getting away. There's a state park just across the river from my home (I can actually see it from my living room window). In the spring and fall, come Friday, I put my tent and cooler in the truck, and after work cross the river, set up camp and enjoy the weekend. If I get going earlier, there's another state park 40 miles up the river. It's more isolated (I've occasionally had the place to myself), and it's a great place to hike, read, write, enjoy a martini and eat (lamb chops, Israeli couscous and grilled asparagus is my favorite meal).

shaun

I like the feeling of being close to nature and far away from the civilized world. I like the fresh clean air, the smell of the forest, the sights and the sounds of the wild. I also like having time to bond with my son, camping is our bonding time.

Bojib

THE FOOD!!!

I think for two reasons. I almost always cook over open flame while camping, and that just makes it taste better. By the time I do settle down to eat, I'm really starving.

Esperahol

Besides hiding the bodies... the quiet, the isolation, the fact noone can hear them scream... the smell of meat roasting over an open-fire and I guess the beauty all around.

RingTwist

I enjoy sitting around the site at night, staring at the fire and roasting marshmallows. Getting up early and appreciating the morning is a close second.

TroyS

Getting to bond with my boys and seeing them enjoy the same things that I did when I was younger.

Grandpa

For many years, it was a relief from the daily grind. A chance to forget work and just enjoy my time with my family. As a farmer/rancher, my kids grew up with a good work ethic but Dad was "the boss". I realized early that "the boss" had to find time to be the Dad as well. Camping and outdoor activities were the medium I found to accomplish this.

With time, my career moved to a town job with more time to spend with the family and outdoor activities continued to be the bonding with my family. With the farm leased, 40 hour work weeks enabled more family time.

With retirement, the goals of the outdoors have moved on as well. A 14er each summer means I'm not dead yet and I still have the legs and lungs to last another winter. The twenty mile days with a pack may be a memory but I still can trot a 10 mile day with no problems and more if needed. Grandkids tagging along just add to the enjoyment and seeing them learn and grow is better than all the personal life accomplishments I have had.

Some of you have met parts of my family and can understand why I love and appreciate them so much.

altavista111

The most likeable thing by me in camping is that i stay away from my parents, there is no any restriction and all that.

West Texan

I enjoy getting away from everything and being in the outdoors. Gaining more knowledge and respect for nature each time I get out ranks up there too.

MountainHomeCamper

Camping is connection to so many things.

Growing up, our vacations consisted solely of camping. We would pack up the Buick station wagon with kids, camping gear, food, even a kitchen pantry (don't ask - my mother believed in really cooking out in the woods!) and head out to the mountains. The enjoyment of spending time as a family in a natural environment taking the time to enjoy everything around and really learning from my parents was incredible. Each time I camp, I relive that magic and connect to my beginnings.

Camping connects us to our ancestors. They lived this life sometimes permanently. What was that like? What did they experience? What did the plants and animals tell them? Did they get enjoyment from a cool breeze blowing off the mountain? Did they fear the thunder and lighting from an approaching storm? It's again a connection.

Camping connects us to life. As long as we have legs to move us, we can demonstrate how alive we are by strolling along that trail, huffing up that mountain, climbing down that rock.

Guess I got a little wordy on this one, but a very thoughtful subject.

carmen

I know I can not be the only one thinking this but why has no one else said it? I love being away from all of the crazy people! City and sometimes even boonie life is too much to deal with, get me away from those crazy nutcases any day of the week.