Ziplining?

Scotty

Has anyone gone ziplining? I have seen some advertisements for some zipline tours in various places and just wondered if it was worth going to do? I thought I may take the missus and try one out. I would enjoy hearing her scream. :D

Grandpa

Was out in the old orchard last year and there stretched between two trees was my old 3/8 inch derrick cable and a pulley on it. The rug rats had themselves a free falling zipline about 150 feet long with about 25 feet of fall. Surprisingly, none of them ever came in to the house lacking blood or with broken bones.

bsmit212

Only been on ones people have hooked up in the back yards, never one of those commerical places. But I want to go to one. It looks like fun

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Nope...never been on one. They enthuse-ith me not.

I think that they're another fad...like bungey jumping was...and each one has had...and still has...its own hazards...!!

It was only recently that a young woman plunged to the ground from one which malfunctioned...was severely injured...and ended up having multiple amputations...!!

Furtunately, this is not always the case with either.

Barney

People obviously didn't seen South Park episode on this topic. :D I should have never gone ziplining. We did that as kids but on a smaller scale projects.

wvbreamfisherman

I've done some ziplining with the fire department in rope rescue classes, and its fun! You need to keep your fingers out of the way of the pulleys and not grab onto anything while you're moving.

IIRC, that girl got injured ended up in the water of a river, and got some weird infection that basically ate her flesh. I also think she had some immune system problem.

bsmit212

Pounder, that sounds awsome. That or depending on how far you are going just have it where you are not straped in. The ones we always used as kids (homemade) just had a handle you hung onto and make sure you dont let go until you are at the end. Either way. Sounds like a fun thing to do.

Also, the girl that got injured was like wvbream said. She was on a homemade zip line, it faild and she landed in a river, cut her self, and ended up with a flesh eating batcieria. That is why she had to have limbs amputated. So I would not worry to much about that

I did see the south park episode. Yeah I am sure at a commercial place you be kinda like that, but then again aren't most commercial place for anything (rafting, caving, etc.) like that. Try to make it more exciting and like an adventure, that is how they make their money.

hummingbird

I don't think I would like it. I didn't like the idea of bungee jumping and zip lines just look like another version of the same. I'm sure some people like them but I don't think it would be for me.

Marshmallow

It's astounding what kind of things we do when we're young and foolish. I used to turn somersaults off of buildings onto old car seats. The youngsters don't realize how much danger there is in climbing trees and getting up high on the roof.

oldsarge

The short home made zip lines are fun but the issue with having to hang on to handle can be dangerous. One little slip and there's no telling what kind of injury you can end up with. If the place is you're looking at does this for a business, they most likely have the harness you will be strapped into. This is a preferred method. Here's a company with a good reputation and their web site gives a good look at what type of equipment is used. Alaska Canopy Adventures - Zip Course Saftey Equipment

Zip line are great! Have fun!!!!

RingTwist

I don't think ziplining is anything like bungee jumping. I haven't tried ziplining yet, but it would be fun. The only place around here that does it doesn't go very high. They do use harnesses for additional safety, though.

carmen

I did this many years ago and then quickly realized how frightened I was and decided never again. I still love watching other people do it but from a distance. I am the gal with the camera not the one on the line.

oldsarge

Haven't done bungee jumping myself, I have enough back issues without being snapped like a wet towel. Zip lining is completely different, there's no jarring or impacting, just a nice cool ride among the trees.

JeepThrills

I was going to say I have never done it, but I just realized I have. Several years ago we went to an event on an Army base (my Dad was in the Army) and they had a tower set up with a zipline. As I recall, it was a lot of fun.

TroyS

Haven't done bungee jumping myself, I have enough back issues without being snapped like a wet towel. Zip lining is completely different, there's no jarring or impacting, just a nice cool ride among the trees.

Looks like I might give this one a try. I haven't also been able to do bungee jumping because of a nasty injury I had from back in college. Do they have a minimum age for the kids, though? My son's quite the adventurer and he might just want to give it a go with me when I do get to try this.

Scotty

I don't know if they have a minimum age or not. I really didn't ask but I am seriously looking to do a zipline. I am an old cuss, but I still like to have fun. BTW, speaking of bungee jumping, I watched a bunch of idiots do this when we were in Pigeon Forge quite a few years ago. It was hilarious. Not something I want to try, but ziplining looks much safer.

Greatoutdoors

I've done some ziplining with the fire department in rope rescue classes, and its fun! You need to keep your fingers out of the way of the pulleys and not grab onto anything while you're moving.

IIRC, that girl got injured ended up in the water of a river, and got some weird infection that basically ate her flesh. I also think she had some immune system problem.
This was a huge story here in Georgia of course, and there ended up being a number of flesh eating bacteria cases over the summer. HERE is an update on Aimee Copeland and how she is doing now.

carmen

I doubt I could ever bungee jump even in my younger years, I would always worry about the darn thing breaking. I have seen many friends go for it though and even a buddy of mine that loves hot air balloons, just one of those things I will appreciate from a distance.