Biking on the Beach

RingTwist

Have you ever gone biking on the beach? I haven't done it yet, but I want to. I just need to get a bike first. Everyone around here has a basic beach cruiser.

oldsarge

Used my mountain bike on the beach before. The fatter the tires the better!

campclose

I tried to take a regular bike out on the beach - big mistake. It's too hard to pedal through the sand. I did use a "beach bike" and I found it is easier to pedal on the wet sand. It's a workout that is for sure!

RingTwist

I usually lower my tire pressure a lot so I can get the biggest footprint possible while in sand.
That would give you a bigger footprint but I would think it'd make it harder to pedal through the sand. It certainly does with our double stroller that has a slow leak.

Judy Ann

Beach bikes and a 1 hour loop of 22 miles was a great way to start my day for many years. 11 miles on the beach singing praise and worship songs blown in the wind while watching the pelicans and dolphins was Sunday at its best...When my parents moved from the barrier island that had been their home for a quarter century we all were sad. Enjoy every moment of your life as if you might never walk or ride that way again.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
That would give you a bigger footprint but I would think it'd make it harder to pedal through the sand. It certainly does with our double stroller that has a slow leak.
sinking up to the spokes makes it harder than gliding on the top with slightly deflated tires.

JimW67

I have biked on beach trails that are designed for biking, which means you are not drowning in thick sand that becomes more of an endurance test as opposed to a good ride. I think it really depends on the type of beach. I agree with using big tires and lowering the air pressure.