Who would you want with you

oldmangunner

Do you have any friends or family that you know would be really good in a survival situation. Does that fact make you more likely to take on hiking and camping trips with you?

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I'm pretty self-sufficient in the wilderness, but for me it would be my boys. My oldest, at 23 is already one of the go-to guys on the local SAR team and has been nominated for the leadership program. He is as nuts for the wilderness as I am and we make a formidable team. I have the old school bushman skills and he has serious technical knowledge and is a better mountaineer than I am. His technical knowledge makes him an invaluable resource.

My younger son is a straight-up Paul Bunyan kinda guy, has some serious heart, and is very eager to learn. It doesn't matter what we are doing, he's in there like a dirty shirt. While he is still developing his basic skill set, he's a really good guy to have your back, and is always on me to take him out to the mountains. He is going to be an excellent tracker, scout, and woodsman one day.

Other than that, I have had a few mentors over the years that have humbled me with their knowledge and I would put my life in their hands in a heart beat.

I think though I gotta go with my boys. I know their strengths and tendencies and they respect my experience ( and I theirs), so there isn't much we couldn't get through together.

Other than them, Ray Mears comes to mind :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

OpenFire

Ray Mears certainly comes to mind for me! I think the rest of my family would rely on me if we were stuck in a survival situation.

IndianaHiker

I will take anyone that doesnt annoy me. Rather than that if in a bad situation I would be happy to have anyone with me that has a level head and some common sense. those 2 things are what most people lack that gets them into trouble

JimBarb

I'd take just about anyone that had done a stint in the military.

And I agree with the comment above about 'level heads' and 'common sense'.

Who is Ray Mears, and why is he so popular?

dinosaur

troublemaker
In that particular situation I would choose NO ONE. I'd rather be alone. Everyone else would be excess baggage I'd have to care for.

paloma

I think I would rather have my dog. I know I can rely on him to protect me from danger or to warn my companions if something bad happens to me.

Itchy_Ivy

I would like to have my mom with me. She is pretty level headed and have watch so many programs about nature and survivalism that I am pretty sure we would do great. I would hate to have a complainer. I am a glass half full kind of person.

Tired_Sneakers

I would hate getting lost with my husband. He is a total klutz that would complain all the way. I rather get lost with his father. My father-in-law is great at problem solving, and has great sense of direction.

sh4d0wm4573ri7

I myself am quite proficient in the outdoors and have taught my children these qualities also any one of them would be great company I'm partial to the dog now that children are grown and off lol

Grandpa

Definately my son. He has taken all I have taught him and ran with it from there. A couple of the son in laws would be mighty handy as well. Right Ladymtnwalker?:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

Definately my son. He has taken all I have taught him and ran with it from there. A couple of the son in laws would be mighty handy as well. Right Ladymtnwalker?

ponderosa

My dad is an old school woodsman with a genius IQ and tons of varied wilderness experience. He also spent some time as a paramedic on an ambulance and a ski patrol. My brother-in-law is a Helitack (wildland fire helicopter crew) manager with lots of SAR experience. I'd be grateful to have either of them along in a bad situation.

As far as hiking partners, I'll go with anyone who doesn't annoy me, doesn't complain, is reasonably fit for the task at hand, and wants to learn.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I'd rather have my wife with me. If I'm going to die in the woods, no way I want her sitting at home living large off my insurance money saying, "see, I told y'all he was going to go off and get himself killed."

Grandpa

Any good well armed US Marine would be my first choice...
One of them son-in-laws I mentioned was a Navy Corpsman and spent 5 years running with the Marines. He knows all their tricks plus his medical stuff.:tinysmile_twink_t2: That was his 12 yr old son that got the buck last week. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Penelope

My Brother-In-Law, A.K.A. 'Mr. Wilderness'

I would definitely take my brother-in-law. He is without a doubt Mr. Wilderness. Every year he takes a trip up to Michigan where he is dropped off on an island. There is only one place on the entire island where he can get a cell phone signal. My sister worries about him so she made him get a device called a Go-Spot. They can't talk but he can push a button on it to say he is ok.

Anyway, he stays on this island for a week. He carries everything in his backpack. He treks across the island and catches a boat on the other side. If he misses the boat, he is stuck there even longer! He usually goes alone. Although he did take his brother with him once, rumor has it that his brother cried like a baby.

Sagebrusher

I would definitely take my brother-in-law. He is without a doubt Mr. Wilderness. Every year he takes a trip up to Michigan where he is dropped off on an island. There is only one place on the entire island where he can get a cell phone signal. My sister worries about him so she made him get a device called a Go-Spot. They can't talk but he can push a button on it to say he is ok.

Anyway, he stays on this island for a week. He carries everything in his backpack. He treks across the island and catches a boat on the other side. If he misses the boat, he is stuck there even longer! He usually goes alone. Although he did take his brother with him once, rumor has it that his brother cried like a baby.
Isle Royale?

CozInCowtown

Yeah, where I hunt in Colorado is like that, a cell signal in a couple of spots but mostly dead air.
My wife makes me call every evening to check in.
DC