??Tent heater??

Gondor

I will read that article but I'm not sure how smart a heater with an open fire would be. When we use huge canvas tents we go with a solid stove with a chimney. Now that's heating!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I understand your caution about using one of those home-made alcohol heaters. They just aren't suited for 'typical' camping/backpacking tents.

Too much heat near flammables. Potential danger from carbon monoxide, or even oxygen depletion (just as bad). Even a propane catalytic heater will put out CO. I wouldn't trust them.

At a campsite with electrical outlets nearby, I could see the benefit of an electric heater, but they, too, can have their dangers, and may be rated up to 1,500 watts or more (costly).

wvbreamfisherman

Two people in a small tent will keep it pretty warm in cool to mildly cold weather.

A candle lantern will add a good bit of heat to a small tent, but again you need to be very aware of ventilation issues and also keeping stuff away from the heat.

I have an OLD white gas catalytic heater that puts out a ton of heat. I'd be very leery of using it in a modern tent that doesn't ventilate as well as the old canvas wall tent we used to use it in.

Grandpa

Sounds dangerous to me too Swebob. If the cold bothers people that much they need to find a motel. Daughter made up some of these "emergency kits" for our cars because of the remoteness and long distances out here. Running off the road in a blizzard kills people every year who are not prepared so these do work in an emergency but in a tent as a standard procedure they are very dangerous.

swebob

In no way would i ever do anything like this.. Just posted it to show you how some people can give you dangerous info

CozInCowtown

Put a terecota(sp) flower pot on a coleman stove and it will heat up your tent rather nicely.
I prefer the method of a double sleeping bag and that blond I am married to for staying warm.
Coz

Pathfinder1

wvbreamfisherman;
Two people in a small tent will keep it pretty warm in cool to mildly cold weather.

A candle lantern will add a good bit of heat to a small tent, but again you need to be very aware of ventilation issues and also keeping stuff away from the heat.

Hi...

I forgot about the candle lantern...and I have one, too. That was a good suggestion.

IndianaHiker

I don't see the point. I have backpacked many time where the temp hit single digits. I have never had the need to have a heater. Just have the proper layers and the right sleeping bag. Last time I was out that cold didn't even bring a tent. Just a tarp between two trees. With a good bag and proper layers was never cold at all.

ppine

Forester
I respect everyone's opinion here, but most people that don't see a need for a heater have never used one. I like a wood stove best, but have used propane fired Buddy heaters. Both are handy for hanging out at night and drying out the clothes and outfit from the days activities. It is cheery. I also like the woodstove going in the morning or maybe the propane heater if we are heading out to go hunting early. I rarely ever try to keep the stove going all night unless it is below zero.

The longer and colder the trip, the more sense it makes to have heat.

Living in a tent for a month , I had lots of visitors everytime the snow started.

I use the Buddy heater in my boat sometimes during cold weather fishing.

Edit-Most tents provide plenty of ventilation to be safe. If they don't open some vents. The one danger is a wet snow storm that overs up the tent and doesn't allow for ventilation. People have been killed in that situation.

Last edited:

Lorax

For the first time in my life I used one recently.
My buddy who is a comfort camper wanted me to go along on a hunting weekend with him. He wanted to camp out to do it. I agreed to go along.

We had a enclosed screen tent and he brought along some cots (also a first for me), we set up with all the comforts of home 15 feet from the tailgate of his truck in a National Forest. He had a new lil Buddy heater or something like that. It has a built in low oxygen sensor and tip over kill switch. It is made for tents and fish shanties. We had it hooked up to a 20lb propane tank and set it on low in a 12x12 space 7 ft high at the peak.
Temps got into the low 20's and it was very comfortable and kept it at 60* at head level when standing. it was 48* at cot level.
I didn't sleep the first night because I was afraid of the heater even though we vented four times the required area for our shelter.
I have to say after doing it, that I would have no problem doing that again in zero temps.

briansnat

Platnium Member
At one time I would bring a single mantle Peak 1 lantern inside the tent and that warmed it up pretty good even when it was near zero outside. We would make sure the tent was well ventilated and we were careful about where we placed the lantern so it wouldn't get knocked over or come in contact with the tent fabric. We did it dozens of times and we're still alive to tell about it.

I don't even bother with that these days. Just a good sleeping bag is enough.

46u

This is what I use and it keeps my 2 man tent hot if I want it. It is a ceramic heater with the tilt safety switch. I even use it in my bedroom so I can keep the heat down in the rest of the house.