Bad cheese!

calanta

I think for almost every trip I have ever been on, I have never enjoyed the cheese brought. Even for short day trips it ends up tasting bad, is there any way to solve this mystery?

Foxyloxy

I usually pack an extra sharp cheddar and that seems to stand up pretty well to being in the cooler. What type of cheese do you bring? I could see where a softer cheese would give you some trouble, especially in the warmer months.

sarahbean

Hmm, that is odd. I've never had a problem as long as the cheese is kept in a cooler with ice packs (like I usually do). Even just in a lunch bag cooler it's been fine.

campclose

I always put the cheese in a sealed container and then in the cooler. For some reason when water gets on the cheese it makes it funny tasting. I know exactly what you mean. Try putting it in a container that is sealed so the water can't touch the cheese. (Ice that is melted).

southerngal

Try taking the block cheeses with you instead of cheese slices and then put in a container in the cooler. I have had this experience too and I love cheese so I hate it when it becomes inedible!

amanda

I always put the cheese in a sealed container and then in the cooler. For some reason when water gets on the cheese it makes it funny tasting. I know exactly what you mean. Try putting it in a container that is sealed so the water can't touch the cheese. (Ice that is melted).
This is really the way to go. I've brought cheeses with me camping before and I always find the the way to make sure it doesn't smell funny or have that cooler taste is to seal it separately in a container.

LytWind

Use a Ziploc before placing the cheese in a container. This will make sure that the cheese will remain dry even when the water entered the container. I don't need to place it in a cooler as long as it stays dry and cool inside my backpack.

javen

I always choose cheddar type of cheese rather than the soft ones that are easy to get spoiled. If it's a cream cheese, I would bring its own container with a tight covering.