Cooking solo

Dannytoo

When y'all are camping solo (that would be alone) do you cook or do you eat those great tasting freeze dried meal from your local Wal-Mart:tinysmile_aha_t:

Grandpa

Well, Mountain house makes some pretty tasty meals but Wal-mart just sells the "other' Stuff. I like Mt House "Sweet and Sour Pork, Chicken Polynesian, Mash Potatoes and Chicken breast among others but never see them in Wal-mart. I also like the new wraps to go in flour torts. In fact, grandma is making me some torts right now for this weeks trip. I also use a lot of oatmeal, ramen and love those shelf stored tuna and chicken salad packs on flat breads or pita breads. Wally world had those bumblebee tuna salad boxes today for $0.99. Those crackers that come with are just appetizers for me so I put the salad on flat bread. I also make up some of Sarah K.'s freezer bag meals.

Any of the freeze dried foods gets real tiresome after about two straight weeks. You need more variety. More than once, I've hiked 12 miles out of my way just to get a real roast beef sandwich or hamburger at a nearby C store.

Hikenhunter

The longer the trip the more I rely on freeze dried meals like the ones mentioned above. For shorter trips I take ham, chicken or tuna in the sealed pouches and pita bread or potatoe rolls. Also I sometimes take the jello or pudding cups that do not need refrigeration, and then there are pepperoni sticks, slim jims and other smoked meat sticks as well as hard cheeses.If you do not have to keep it refrigerated I'll try darn near anything once.

Cappy

I never did those freeze dried meals, I never found one that pleased a Cajun palate.On long trips I made meal packs consisting of Quick boil dried Cajun dishes. Tony Chacherie has some very good boil nd eat things like red beans and rice, jumbalaya, gumbo, etc. Oak Grove has some good mixes as well. I would put these in bags with dried shrimp or beef jerky or pork tasso and stack them in my stash. Breakfast same way powdered eggs oat meal or grits all with bacoon bits, or brown suger, etc. I'm a 2 meal a day guy so this would be counted out for estimated trip then add 25% match it with coffee makings, salt pepper and hotsauce containers, The lil pouch I kept this in held 3 weeks easy. Snacks were packed more acessable in a side pouch and included dried shrimp jerky and pecans, these were also added to the main meals. One of the main reasons I canoed more than back packed is the ability to bring better suplies like black iron and beer:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

DuctTape

I sometimes cook. sometines use prepared foods found in supermarket. most often i use my own dehydrated meals. Never do I use the freeze dried except individual veggies when I cook.

carmen

Of the few times I have been out solo I have always kept it simple. For some reason I always lean towards soups, I love soup but I seldom eat it at home unless I am sick. Out in the wood though I love it and eat it more than anything else.

Barney

I have a small gas cooker and pot and I do pasta, bag soups, eggs and similar fast cooking foods. But I carry a lot of ready to eat foods like cereal and protein bars.

Reed

Camping is for cooking. To me, there's nothing more weird then taking food from a supermarket out in the woods for a camping trip. I do that at home all the time.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
Zatarans dinners are my go to, the black beans and rice is my fave. One box split in two ziplock bags for two meals. Just boil 2cups of water mix it all up in the cookpot and let sit for 20min or so in a homemade reflectex pot coozie, and bon appetite. Lipton and uncle bens make sides that I use as well.

Blueskyy

I'm having one of the Zatarain's box pasta deals for dinner tonight although I am at home. :) I usually take homemade dehydrated meals when we go out for extended trips.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I don't get afield much anymore, except via UTE. Then I may bring some 'salad' sandwiches, spam in a variety of flavors. Once in a while bacon and eggs.

Used to use MREs, but not anymore, although I do keep some MRE crackers in my GHB.

I did a freeze dried food review here some months ago, I forgot what the brand name was. I rated them as rather poor.

I have some Patriot brand F/D food that I'm going to try sometime soon, and will post a review on it.

Wise? Forget about it...!! (Apparently...and I can't prove it...but they are accused by various 'sources' about their shelf live being considerly less than the 25-years that they had advertised...something about oxygen in their mylar packaging). I see that they are promoting some 'new' products now.