Favorite freshwater rod brands?

cabinfever

The wife wants to buy me a new rod and rig for our anniversary and has asked me to give her some ideas. I've been using the gear I acquired from my dad and haven't tried most of the brands around today. Hit me with some recommendations for some good all-around freshwater gear, will you?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Most of the old brands are still around like Shakespeare, Abu Garcia, South Bend and Mitchell. Although the Mitchell reels have definitely suffered some quality setbacks. Most rods will stand up to pretty good punishment as long as you don't try to use an ultra-lite for stripers or big cats. The reel: it's the same as it always was. You get what you pay for.

briansnat

Platnium Member
You don't say how much you have to spend but here are some good ones. I own, owned or used all of these. I like them all but I put an asterisk next to my favorites.

$100 - $200
Shimano Crucial *
St Croix Rage
G Loomis GL
St Croix Avid

$50 - $100
Shimano Clarus *
St Croix Triumph
ABU Garcia Vendetta
Fenwick HMG *
Femwick HMX

Under $50
Berkley Lightning Rod (IMHO by far the best rod for the money. Period) *
Berkley Lightning Rod Shock
Bass Pro Shops Micro Lite

And if you care more about durability,than sensitivity and good action, there is the Shakespeare Ugly Stick. You can beat them up and they keep going. Only problem is they are a step above fishing with a cane pole.

As far as rods over $200 I have no experience with them so I can't make recommendations.

Reels. For spinning reels I like Shimano and Pfleuger (I think the Pflueger President is the best spinning reel for the money). For bait casting reels I like Shimano and Lew's (I have to go with the Lew's Speed Spool for best bang for the buck).

Last edited:

cabinfever

I've been leaning towards ABU Garcia, so I'm glad to see you guys mention them. I've seen a lot of professional fishermen using that brand so I figured it must be good. I'll check out that Berkley Lightning Rod, too, though.

ChadTower

I'll second the Ugly Sticks if you fish out of a canoe or kayak. They're inexpensive, stand up to a lot of abuse, and if you dump in 40ft of water it's not a huge loss.

TakeAHike

I don't have a favorite, but I did just get a deal on a new Shimano. I am not sure what kind it is other than that. We were camping and one of our poles broke so we had to do a replacement on the quick.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I've been leaning towards ABU Garcia, so I'm glad to see you guys mention them. I've seen a lot of professional fishermen using that brand so I figured it must be good. I'll check out that Berkley Lightning Rod, too, though.
As with many rod mfrs. there are different models of ABU Garcia. The "pros" who use ABU Garcia will probably will be using the high end models like "Verdict" & "Villan" which are over $150 and have little in common with the low end ABU Garcia models

Similarly Shimano sells rods that cost over $250 and rods that cost $25. St Croix and GLoomis sell $300 and $400 rods however both also sell models for under $100. You can bet that most of the pros aren't using the low end models of these rods.

Because you see pros fishing with one brand it doesn't mean a thing because they usually aren't fishing with the same models that we might buy at Walmart or Dicks.

ChadTower

I think it's like debating what bat to use in a bar league softball game. It's about context. Who cares what bat you use? You're playing for fun with a bunch of guys who can't run.

If you're 5 miles out in a remote spot standing on the front of a bass boat then you might want to consider a $250 freshwater rod. If you're fishing from shore, or from a little boat 100' from the paved road, use whatever you have on hand.

That $250 rod isn't going to make a person a better fisherman anymore than a $250 bat is going to make someone hit better. Fishing is all about location and knowledge. Use what you have or can reasonably get and practice, practice, practice.

Cappy

Well since I aint yet, I figure I'll put ma 2 cents in. All that fancy stuff yall are mentioning are great equipment and over the years I have owned and still own most brands mentioned. For newbie just getting started folks using daddys inherited rods with little experience I wanna take a chance to mention ZEBCO :tinysmile_grin_t: The ole tried and true zebco 33 classic can be bought rod reel loaded with mono and a practice plug for a fraction of the big buck brands I own several they are almost indestructible cept for car doors tail gates and grand kids. Just dunk the reel in the water and start fishing. If in salt water rince with the water hose when ya get home. I keep 4 of them rigged for tight lining cat fish in the shed at all times. Never know when a passle of kids are hollerin "cappy les go to the river":tinysmile_fatgrin_t

topwaterking

I have been through several rods over the years and By far the best most sturdy consistently sensitive rod is the shake spear ugly stik. It has the spine and power for strong fish the bend for the fight. and the sensitivity for catching crappie.

Dannytoo

If you have an Academy Sports near. The H20 rods and reels are hard to beat. They also carry a life time warranty, break the rod or the reel malfunction just take it back and get a new one, age doesn't matter.

RJ Cooper

Ugly sticks and Penn Reels for spin fishing.
Ugly sticks and Okume for open faced reels.
Orvis Barstock Battenkills and cheap Cabelas fly rods for the fly.

I beat my gear up pretty good.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I have been through several rods over the years and By far the best most sturdy consistently sensitive rod is the shake spear ugly stik. It has the spine and power for strong fish the bend for the fight. and the sensitivity for catching crappie.
As a former Ugly Stick aficionado all I can say is that when was given a Shimano Crucial as a gift I learned what true sensitivity was in rod. The Ugly Sticks were like fishing with a cane pole in comparison with my new Shimano. Within a year I replaced six of my seven Ugly Sticks with better rods. I kept one to use in the canoe when I'm canoe camping, because the rods get beat up in the canoe and the Ugly Stick will take it. Unfortunately when I'm actually fishing I find myself wishing I brought a better pole along. I think this year I sell the last Ugly Stick and just buy a hard rod case and bring along one or two of the good rods.

Dannytoo

The rods run 29.00 to 59.00 and the reels run 39. To 69. Check them out on their web academy sports.com I don't work for them but like their fishing equipment. Also check out their reviews you'll be very superized.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Hey man If you dont mind me asking brian how much was your Shimano Crucial? Do you fish open faced or button reel?

The first was a gift, but I liked it so much I bought another. Paid $159.

I fish with open face spinning and baitcasting reels. One Crucial is a spinning rod and the other is a baitcasting rod.