Would you eat a snake?

fishbills

If it came down to it, would you eat a snake to survive? I remember reading that Barack Obama willingly ate a snake. I just watched an episode of Dual Survival where Cody and Dave kill, cook and eat a snake. If it meant that I would survive then I would do it. If I had any other food source then i would not. How about you?

bsmit212

Some parts of the world they eat some kinds of snake simple because that is what is for dinner, survival or not. Yeah I would eat a snake for survival, I would give it a try if someone cook a dish with it. Can't say you don't like unless you have tried it.

Here is a number of ways to do it.

Easy Snake - Recipes - Cooks.com

dinosaur

troublemaker
I barbequed one in September. They are delicious. Properly cooked they are similar to lobster in taste, but a much cleaner animal.

ppine

Forester
I have had rattlesnake many times. My neighbor brought one to my 60th party out in the Pine Nut Mtns that he killed that morning. They are good with hotsauce.

Michael

Sure. Why not?

If it's a wild animal, I'd be certain to cook it well. To kill any parasites or living pathogens. You can't be too careful with that sort of thing.

There's not a whole lot I wouldn't eat if I needed to. Starving people will eat shoe leather or their dead friends. I'd be chowing down on snakes and insects a long, long while before I started considering putting my Corcorans on the menu. "Ew, that looks yucky," is a dumb reason to starve.

campclose

Of course I would if I had to. It all taste like chicken right? I have never heard that it taste like lobster. I would grill it or fry it. You could always put lots of garlic on it. Garlic fixes everything.

fishbills

Of course I would if I had to. It all taste like chicken right? I have never heard that it taste like lobster. I would grill it or fry it. You could always put lots of garlic on it. Garlic fixes everything.
I agree that garlic fixes everything! I love the smell of roasting garlic. I can't believe how many of you would jump at the chance to eat a snake. I'm shocked that so many of you have already tried snake. I feel like barfing just thinking about it.

Cappy

Well if eating snake makes ya queezy then I wont mention all the other things I've eaten as well as snake. I'll agree with breamfisher kinda between frog and chicken and now that yall mention it not too far from lobster.

cabinfever

I'll try most anything once. I haven't had any kind of snake meat yet, but heck, yeah, I'd eat them if I was hungry. Westerners are far too particular about where their meat comes from today.

Newanderthal

it's just meat. Snake is stringy in texture (sort of like chicken or frog) and has absolutely no flavor on its own. Cook with seasoning.

I'm Cajun, which means I grew up eating things most people would consider 'survival food'. We just called it dinner. Frog, snake, turtle, squirrel, raccoon, alligator, that's called 'dinner'.

wvbreamfisherman

it's just meat. Snake is stringy in texture (sort of like chicken or frog) and has absolutely no flavor on its own. Cook with seasoning.

I'm Cajun, which means I grew up eating things most people would consider 'survival food'. We just called it dinner. Frog, snake, turtle, squirrel, raccoon, alligator, that's called 'dinner'.
Never had raccoon or possum (yet). I'd like to try both one day. I've had all the others you mention and enjoyed all of them. Absolutely love turtle, but man is it messy to clean!