Would you eat a snake?

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
In my youth I spent a couple of long weekends each summer at a good sized lake out near Devils Tower. It was a big ole puddle in the middle of the Wyoming prairie, and it was rife with Western Diamondbacks. So much so that the marina there had a bounty on their rattles. 40 cents per rattle segment including the end button. Didn't take much searching to dispatch snakes worth 20 or 30 dollars of bounty. All the marina wanted was just the rattles which they kept in a large 5 gallon jar on the front counter.

Needless to say we sometimes had a lot of snake carcasses, so usually at least once each trip we had a "snake fry". Certainly wasn't really the main course, but everyone would at least try a piece or two. I remember being told the first time that it tastes like chicken... but then everything that wasn't beef or pork in those days supposedly tasted like chicken. Makes sense though because it was seasoned like chicken and cooked like chicken. It wasn't all that great, but it was certainly palatable.

The first time I ate a raw oyster as a kid, was far more challenging. :bad:

Last edited:

mccallum

Sure why not; may not wait till it was a eat snake or die moment!

The only thing that worries me about coon and possum is rabies! Dies a good hot cookin to well well done kill rabies?

NatureGal

Heck no. I'm weird and different than most people, but I care more about animals than I care about myself. I've been a vegetarian for eight years now. If it came down to it, and I would have to try to survive in the wilderness, I know I most likely would not survive. I wouldn't know what I would eat.

wvbreamfisherman

Heck no. I'm weird and different than most people, but I care more about animals than I care about myself. I've been a vegetarian for eight years now. If it came down to it, and I would have to try to survive in the wilderness, I know I most likely would not survive. I wouldn't know what I would eat.
It would be really tough to get enough calories and essential amino acids by foraging for plants. It's tough enough to survive as a hunter-gatherer, especially outside the growing seasons. There's good reasons that humans developed agriculture and domestiarted animals.

Not many of today's people could survive very long in a primitive state. Most of us don't have the skills and knowledge that our predecessors had.

offtrail

Not a problem would not hesitate to wolf down a snake. I've eaten wood grubs before and ants plus the larva, not to bad. Just make sure it is cooked well done, being sick in the field has to be a tough one.

JimW67

I have eaten both rattlesnake and python. I had both spiced up and barbeque sauce on the rattlesnake meat. They both tasted good. Snake meat is actually healthier than regular cow meat with less calories and fat.

offtrail

It would be really tough to get enough calories and essential amino acids by foraging for plants. It's tough enough to survive as a hunter-gatherer, especially outside the growing seasons. There's good reasons that humans developed agriculture and domestiarted animals.

Not many of today's people could survive very long in a primitive state. Most of us don't have the skills and knowledge that our predecessors had.
Even primitive man starved to death. It would be a difficult task to survive with the depleted resources we have today.

offtrail

We never know just how we will act when it comes to starving to death, we hope to take the high road. But the will to survive is strong, things that are not edible become edible when nothing else is left.

wvbreamfisherman

Even primitive man starved to death. It would be a difficult task to survive with the depleted resources we have today.
"Even" understates things quite a bit. Primitive man probably starved to death more often than not. Even if it wasn't outright starvation, the lean times made them more vulnerable to diseases and stunted them physically in many cases.

Looking through the middens of most primitive cultures you'll find times where the bones with the toothmarks on them were human bones (and human teethmarks).

Grandpa

"Even" understates things quite a bit. Primitive man probably starved to death more often than not. Even if it wasn't outright starvation, the lean times made them more vulnerable to diseases and stunted them physically in many cases.

Looking through the middens of most primitive cultures you'll find times where the bones with the toothmarks on them were human bones (and human teethmarks).
Which brings up a terrible thought. What would YOU do? Several years ago, a small plane crashed in the central Idaho wilderness during the middle of winter. On board, the pilot, rich daddy, his daughter, and daughters fiance'. Daddy and fiance' died in the crash. Pilot was bad hurt. Daughter kept herself and pilot alive for nine days when they were rescued. Rescuers quickly noticed daddy had some parts missing. What would you do? And could you do it? I hope I never have to make that decision.

Dura Mater

I don't particularly love snake but I'd eat it without question. Easy to prepare and lots of meat. The snake I ate didn't have any seasoning just lopped its head off, dressed it, and put it by the fire so maybe thats why the taste wasn't spectacular.

pauldude000

Snake is not bad.

Not great in my book, but a heck of a lot better than some other critters I can name.

Rosepetals

I am not sure if I would be able to. Probably not. I would try to find something else to eat. And if there wasn't anything else to eat, well, I am not sure what I would do, to be honest.

Grandpa

I would and I have. Nothing special about it, and not a lot of it. But if I needed a meal and one got in my path..........No doubt.