Longest Hike

Wow! I've got a ways to go before I can really call myself a hiker. The longest I've hiked so far was ten miles. It was a round-trip hike up and down a mountain. It took us the better part of a day to complete, but it was well worth the effort.

Blazer

I like to hike in the mountains and rocky, steep trails are usually in order and I do like to stop, take pictures and enjoy myself. A day hike for me will usually be between 3-8 miles, sometimes 10. I've just started backpacking and so far my longest has been around 6 miles with a full pack. I took a break from hiking during the summer..that's when I'll kayak instead. Now that the weather it turning cooler I will be doing hiking again. I've invested in some lighter weight gear so I hope to be doing some nice hikes. Gotta get back into shape and work off those summer BBQs!

Blazer

I know it's an old thread, but my longest day hike was my "Death-March" to Mount Whitney "Death-March", 22 miles round-trip and took me about 16 hours.
JMT is on my list of one of the trails I want to do when I move out west. I enjoyed your pics. :)

I am curious...if you have to put in for a permit so far in advance what happens if the weather is just awful? You have to put in for another one? We don't need permits here in the East and I have to say that I'm glad for it as many of my hikes are spur of the moment and weather dependent. If it rains hard, I bail. I don't like to get to the top of a mountain and see nothing.

For me, rain is a pain and I only have fun in the sun. Yes, I'm a wimp like that.

Hikin Mike

Walkin' Like a Penquin Now
JMT is on my list of one of the trails I want to do when I move out west. I enjoyed your pics. :)

I am curious...if you have to put in for a permit so far in advance what happens if the weather is just awful? You have to put in for another one? We don't need permits here in the East and I have to say that I'm glad for it as many of my hikes are spur of the moment and weather dependent. If it rains hard, I bail. I don't like to get to the top of a mountain and see nothing.

For me, rain is a pain and I only have fun in the sun. Yes, I'm a wimp like that.
It's a lottery, so if you get lucky and get the permit, that's it. If the weather is bad, you deal with it. In August (when I went), weather wasn't a factor, like (no) snow.

Hikin Mike

The only permits that are hard to secure is Whitney and Half Dome. All other trails are somewhat easier to get. When I was able to backpack, I usually get my permit that morning.

I hate rain too, and I've never had rain while hiking.

Blazer

The only permits that are hard to secure is Whitney and Half Dome. All other trails are somewhat easier to get. When I was able to backpack, I usually get my permit that morning.

I hate rain too, and I've never had rain while hiking.
I guess rain isn't a real problem in California, where you have a drought. I keep thinking "East Coast" where it rains every other day it seems. I hate it. I basically don't plan a trip unless I'm sure it's not going to rain the entire time and will cancel or move it if it does.

Grandpa

That is why I prefer wilderness to the NP's. No permits, go where you want, camp where you want. And usually, a lot less people.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, Mike, you survived the "Death March"and are probably a better man for it. I've hiked through rain storms, lightning strikes and once a tornado. I don't think I'm that tough, maybe just lucky but I'll never forget those times. They were great thrills.

Last edited:

Hikin Mike

Well, Mike, you survived the "Death March"and are probably a better man for it. I've hiked through rain storms, lightning strikes and once a tornado. I don't think I'm that tough, maybe just lucky but I'll never forget those times. They were great thrills.
Now I've never had rain storms, lightning or tornadoes...LOL!