The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

While in town yesterday we stopped by our favorite nursery. This time of the year things go on sale down here as most spring planting is done. I picked up 4 cayenne pepper plants they thrive in or summer heat and were marked way down. They were big and already with several picking size peppers on em and only 1$ each so I stuck em in the garden.

jason

fear no beer
Sorry Jason, it even made the news out here.
Thanks. There have been a few fires in that park recently. Not sure if they have opened it back up or not as there was another fire over the weekend. Of course rumors are flying around about people setting those fires. We are starting to get a little rain the area though. Got a nice rain storm Saturday which helped put a fire out.

jason

fear no beer
While in town yesterday we stopped by our favorite nursery. This time of the year things go on sale down here as most spring planting is done. I picked up 4 cayenne pepper plants they thrive in or summer heat and were marked way down. They were big and already with several picking size peppers on em and only 1$ each so I stuck em in the garden.
USF Has their plant summer plant sale June 24th and 25th. I hope to go as they have some small growers for things you do not find in big box stores.

You did raised beds, correct?

Cappy

Yea Jason we love or local nursery stuff there is well cared for and always HEALTHY LOOKING. when we went by the spring garden stuff was marked down so we picked up a few things to stick on the garden.
Last year we fenced off about a third of our yard for a dog yard and to close in our fruit trees and garden boxes. every since then that 6 ft tall chain link fence has been begging me to plant stuff to grow on it. We picked up 4 muscydine vines 2 white 2 dark ole fashined. Also scored 4 kiowa black berry plants after lots of research they seemed to be the berry we wanted time will tell.

Cappy

Jason!! ya getting settled into the new place?? would live to see some pictures. Waht ya planning to stick in the ground?? I know dis aint a gardening forum but it is an out toor activity so what ya planning?? Fire pit? smokehouse or bbq pit?? garden?? What ya sticking in the ground??

jason

fear no beer
Working on it. Wife is driving me crazy as I want to hang all the pictures she has sitting on the floor, but she is in no rush. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Son is "graduating" kindergarten tomorrow, so they will be having a ceremony. We are switching schools for him though and holding him back. Then there is some rental work to do Thursday. Meetings Friday. Saturday though I have to take some old fence down to prepare for about 7 loads of top soil I have coming in. The play set came today though so maybe next week I can start that. Hopefully a fence will be going up in about two weeks. And I just have a guy that does metal structures come out for a nice garage.

Once the fence is in, I am shopping for fruit trees. I will be putting a used chain link fence up near the swamp so we can still have some sort of view, but am thinking about growing grapes or something on it. I also will be trying out some Eden gardening methods and maybe some hydroponics. Also been keeping an eye out for some of those 55 gallon plastic barrels. I want to turn them into grow barrels.

Somewhere in there is more trees to take down, stumps to grind, brush to burn (fire pit is full up right now), and wood to split. So lots of plans for the outside. Still have things on the inside too. Just need some time and money. All the kids are done with school after this week and I really want to get them out on the canoe as it is already in the 90's here so I thinking it is going to be a hot summer.

Cappy

me and you differ in the fire pit culture you build bon fires I build camp fires we aint wrong we just different.:beer3:

jason

fear no beer
The new pit is smaller. Around 6 foot long by 4 foot wide oval shape. And then a smaller pit right next to it. Big pit is for brush and maybe parties. The small one is more for the average weekend and cooking.

jason

fear no beer
Another busy weekend. Had to move the wood pile. It is now stacked on some pallets until the fence goes up and I can rent a splitter.

Then we took down the fence on the one side of the house to prepare for some dirt.

You see all those logs on the side of the property? You also see how it dips down there? Well its all gone. They brought their baby skid steer which broke down. Still have about a load and half to spread around.

If you wonder if that is the baby what is the big boy, well here it is moving a pine tree that was taken down previously.

If you are wondering what it looked like when we first bought the house last year.

For dinner, we took a watermelon, cut the top off, scooped out the inside, filled it with chicken and put the top back on and put it on the egg at about 350 for 4ish hours.

It was ok. The recipe I found was very basic, salt, pepper, soy sauce. It made a good shredded chicken.

This is what many loads of free much looks like. Tick-Tock is currently relaxing over there.

We also got some bunnies last week. So guess who gets to build a hutch for them?

This was what the house looked like when we first bought it.

West side showing the little room they built off the garage.

west side

East side (the dirt side)

Front.

More front

Smile for the camera

Some turkey's hanging out in the front

Hey look it is a medium size dog with funny things on his head.

Cappy

Thanks for sharing Jason I really appreciate it!! The work is looking good and ya making progress. once ya get it all cleared and leveled off then ya gonna need to stick stuf in the dirt for fruit nuts and shade.

Roybrew

Mowed down the baby sassyfrass trees around my hammock hanging area. Sure smelled good when cutting them
Dumped some charcoal on the grill along with some peach wood chips, and then laid the polish sausage, onions, and peppers to it.
It sure was smokin
Had to move it in carport cause it started to rain
Of course I had someone eye balling me while I ate

Cappy

Ya livin' da dream there Roy thanks for sharing. Peggy has several varieties of mint growing around the yard that makes for good smelling mowing too.We dont have a sassafras tree .....yet

Cappy

It has been raining every day for the last 10 days some of those days we have had as much as 4 inches. Pretty sure it has been a foot of rain. Typical spring rains but I need a break. I backed da jeep out the yard to run to the store and it made muddy tracks that afternoon the rain washed the rain off the grass and it was back to tall and green. Today is sposed to be the last rainy day for a while and after 3 dry days it may be dry enough to mow. I cant wait to get started me and da Dawgs are getting a bad case of cabin fever.

jason

fear no beer
Rented a stump grinder over the weekend. Took down a few more trees, but mostly spent the time grinding stumps.

We got some rain here today. Looks like our rainy season has started. Lots of rain over the next week is predicted.

Fence should go up tomorrow too. Some more dirt getting brought in Saturday.

Burn ban has been lifted today. I got a huge pile, just need some dry weather.

Cappy

I checked my lil journal and it has rained here 11 days in a row hopefully over for a while we are readying the camper for company and gonna drag it to a park to dump and clean da tanks prolly not till tomorrow though will take a bit to get er road ready and tanks ready to slosh their way to dump station Peg is doing the house er camper inside work I am charging da battery jacking stuff and hooking the hitch

Roybrew

At Monticello seeing the sites, and check out my East Tennessee wife carrying her shoes again. She don't like wearing shoes

Cappy

We hooked up to our camper and dumped the tanks and cleaned them and brought it back and stabilized it and unhooked got er ready to play guest house next week. The standing water has finally left the back yard so its mow and weed eat and play in the yard in the steamy heat day. I usta love bare footing and would again if I wasn't so chubby.