17 bullets to kill a deer???

2coastcamper

Have you guys heard about this? A deputy sheriff had to shoot a deer 17 times because he didn't know where the heart was. Obviously, he'd never been hunting!

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A sheriff's deputy in Gainesville had to fire 17 shots to put down a deer hit by a car.

The Alachua sheriff's department says the deputy was "horrified" by what happened Wednesday, and would be referred to a victim advocate.

The deputy didn't know where to shoot the animal, so he called a superior. The sergeant said to aim for the heart, behind the deer's shoulder. Instead, the deputy fired repeatedly into the stomach until the animal died.

The sheriff's department says the deputy did nothing wrong and won't be reprimanded. They now plan to train patrol staff to quickly kill a distressed animal that can't be saved, The Gainesville Sun reported.

lbean

Heh, I do not mean to laugh but thats crazy. The deer has already been hit by a car and he has to shoot it 17 times. That is a bit of overkill. I think someone needs to give this man some target practice as well as biology lessons. Glad they plan to do just that!

Wendolyn

I could only laugh at the idiot holding the gun, for the deer I feel as its not something that I am sure was not pleasant. What I a more grumpy about is the fact that the person was told where and still continued to be an idiot about it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
One shot placed between the eyes about one inch up on the forehead would have dispatched the deer instantly. I am just glad this particular police officer is not protecting my home area. I'd be more afraid of him than a criminal.

ultimatesurvivor

How can you mistake the shoulder area with the stomach? Maybe he left his glasses at home? One would think that after the first two shoots he'd have the common sense to put one between the eyes of the poor animal as the other person said.

Jimbo

Why didn't the superior officer just shoot it? And now that I think about it, is there a gun on the market today that holds 17 rounds? That is just a very weird story.

dinosaur

troublemaker
There is a 9mm that has a stacked magazine holding 17 rounds. I thought about this one too. Can you imagine this clown shooting the deer ten times and then reloading and starting again?