2 unwanted pets

T

tentrus

So it seems that we have 2 unwanted pets living in the woods right in between us and the neighbors. For 15 days now our neighbor has seen 2 black bears (same 2) and for the last 4 we have seen them. I hate it! I don't want them living there - I don't know why they are either. There is no garbage or food in that woods. Any ideas on how to scare them away?

We want to set up our tent out back but I don't dare with them so close.

Sweetpea

Do you have a dog? I know my daughter in Anchorage has a problem with bears sometimes but she has three dogs and when they are in the yard, the bears don't come near.

slogger

Uh, I'd be afraid that the bears would attack my pets! How about hanging something that makes a loud noise like old pots and pans so the bears would blunder into it and scare themselves away? I still would be wary of camping out there though!

DThewanderer

We used to have bears behind our house. We had 2 large dogs too. The bears never came towards to dog. In fact, they made a point to go around the dogs to get to the trash.

T

tentrus

I do have a dog, a boxer and she is outdoors a lot. She does not seem to scare the bears away as they come out in the yard anyway. I will try to hang the pots and pans in the woods. It's pretty scary! We have had bears walk through the yard for years but none that actually have stayed in one spot for so long.

Hayley

I would never, not ever, risk my pets by letting them outside with bears, or any other dangerous animals, around. Call the animal control folks and ask them for suggestions. There may be something in the area of the woods that you don't know about.

oldsarge

Get one of them giant inflatable dinosaurs that you see at open houses and grand openings. Maybe one of them ones that have the long arms and look like they're dancing in the wind. Imagine the look on Yogi's face when he scarfs an eye load of that!

SweetSassyLady

LOL You can try fireworks too. I think firecrackers may flush them out and get them to move on if you harass them enough with them. Just stay out of the way though, when they get scared they may run toward you!

sticks

Señor Member
Do you have bird feeders? They will come for the seed.

Try an air horn to scare them, $10 at WallyWorld, replacement canisters are $10.

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

Something in .338 caliber or larger shoud not only get rid of them but fill the freezer as well.
If that isn't your forte them start peeing in the woods where they are hanging out.
DC

Grandpa

Something in .338 caliber or larger shoud not only get rid of them but fill the freezer as well.
If that isn't your forte them start peeing in the woods where they are hanging out.
DC
If this option is used, get the smoker out. They are similar to pork and my mouth waters at the thought of a Boston Bruin Butt Ham.

T

tentrus

I am sorry but I would be shaking too much to shoot them! :) Seriously urine will keep them away? That is the first I've heard of that. Since I posted this I have seen them 4 more times. Seriously what is up with these crazy bears!

ChadTower

LOL You can try fireworks too. I think firecrackers may flush them out and get them to move on if you harass them enough with them. Just stay out of the way though, when they get scared they may run toward you!

If they are there because they have been forced out of where they came from they won't have a comfortable escape route. That is a pair of cornered bears you're throwing firecrackers at...

...and in many, many places it will be very illegal to shoot them.

I would do something that would make enough noise to make them go away but not enough to corner them. Motion sensors and recorded dogs or strobe lights, maybe. Simpler would be pots and pans on ropes but they might get caught up in that.

You have to be missing some food source in that area. If there really is nothing they won't stay long no matter what. A bear has gotta eat.

T

tentrus

They could be catching fish - We have a crick that leads right to the State Park water falls and I know there is fish in there.

I can't believe they are staying so long! I have seen a lot of bears cross the road and head up the other side of the woods.

Don't worry - I'm not shooting them or tossing firecrackers there way.