4 days of camping

hikinboot

What do you take with you? I get blamed for taking too much camping. We take 2 tents, one for us and one for the kids, a camp stove, and a shelter with the port -a-potty. We take a big tarp to tarp the campsite.

Grandpa

If you don't have to carry it, take whatever you want. We all have our own comfort levels. If you do have to carry it, you can still take whatever you want, just remember the 11th commandment, "Thou Shall not Whine".

For tailgate camping, we fill the truck. For backpacking, I stay under 35 lbs dry weight even up to 10 days expecting below freezing temps.

hikinboot

Where were going you have to carry it for about a km, it's not that bad of a trek. I forgot to mention the cooler for the food, that was stupid of me.

outdoorsy

You carry all of that in? That seems like a lot to carry in somewhere. I would pack all of that if it was just a pull-up-to campsite but not hiking to the campsite. Wow you must have really strong backs!

hikinboot

Not really, but we made quite a few trips. It took about an hour to unload the truck to the campsite. Add in the mud from the rain that had occurred, it was fun.

HikingGuy

I prefer sites that I can drive to if I am hauling that much stuff or only take what I can pack in my pack and go without for the rest.

Sophia

If you are driving, take as much as you can. You never know what you might need. If you are hiking, then you should know that you don't want to carry a lot and will want to "rethink" some of that....

hikinboot

We left a bit back in the truck, just in case, we didn't take it all to the campsite, it was with us, but not dragged to the camp.

Rachel

I tend to pack too much when I go camping, so it's good I often go to drive-up sites and save the hiking for when I don't have to carry all my stuff.

ChadTower

Make sure everything you bring has a true purpose and anything not important should have multiple true purposes. Keep true to that and you'll have a good list of what you really need. It varies from group to group.

EyeOfThePark

That seems like too much to carry, in my opinion. My family and I can generally manage without the portable toilet. I don't think we'd be able to carry more than 15 kg.

outwest

I think Grandpa there hit the nail on the head and tailgate camping would be a blast. My truck right now is sucking down the gas so we are not taking that for the next trip but who knows about the one after. :)

hikinboot

We don't have a truck, we borrowed my father's. We have a little car so it is not conducive to taking anything anywhere. We always borrow the truck.

rockytibby

We have a small trailer we pull behind the jeep. We bring the tent, gazebo, table,two totes of dry food, stove, propane, tarps, water purifier, shower, big buddy Mr. heater, isomats, sleeping bags, several changes of clothes in a tote, cooler, odds and ends of cooking supplies and a other things I'm sure to be forgeting to mention. We set up a base camp for 1-2 weeks and go off and hike. Its nice to have some place to come back to after been on the trail for aday or so.

freedommachine

Depending on where and how you camp, overkill is not a bad thing. In a very remote area I talked to a guy once who spent 3 extra days because his truck battery died. It was him and his pregnat wife. Some guy finally came along and jumped started them. So if you are in a vehicle it doesnt hurt to be a little over loaded just incase you wind up spending extra time out that wasnt planned.

hikinboot

I feel much better about what I pack now. I think that I would rather be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, that way I am ready for just about everything.

freedommachine

I feel much better about what I pack now. I think that I would rather be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, that way I am ready for just about everything.
You couldn't of said that any better! If you can be over prepared be over prepared. Nothing wrong with playing it safe.