A big hello from the Catskill Mountains!

weegie923

I stumbled upon this site...on facebook of all places...and decided to check it out. :)

I just started hiking/backpacking, fascinating really since I live in the Catskills and it's not that far from the Adirondacks, but have developed a great love of it. My goal is to belong to both the Catskill Mountain 3500 Club and the Adirondack 46'rs. That ought to keep me busy for a good while. Not sure I'm up for hiking in the winter, but I'm told that is one of the best times to do it. Guess I'm going to find out if I'm a fair weather hiker soon since that season is upon us.

Looking forward to learning and living!

Darby MountainDog

I will hike anywhere
hey there weegie923.. i am also from new york, central part, near Syracuse area. but i have been hiking for a few years. but the only thing is that, i live in Kansas now, but i am looking to move again. but you can write back. plan a hike together or something.

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. Have not been up to the Catskills in forever. How is it going up there?

hikinmike

You're in some good country. There wa a lean-to at the base of Slide Mt. I enjoyed using it as a jumping-off point to the surrounding peaks. Enjoyed the views from overlooks on Table. Take crampons or some ice-creepers on the 35s and 46s in Winter. Unless there's a good snowpack, they get awful icy. Enjoy...but remember to have someone with you on Winter treks.