A new invasion

jason

fear no beer
Well not sure really how new it is, but new to me. Talking to a friend today he said he saw some Nile Monitors not far from our house. I guess Florida has another invasive species. Saw a few news reports saying they were first saw in the wild in southern Florida around the 90's. Kinda wonder what they taste like.

Grandpa

On a similar note, a dead fish was found in a small urban lake in Utah this week. It was identified (can't remember the name) as typically an home aquarium species related to the piranha but a vegetarian. It was probably thrown out into the lake when it's owner tired of careing for it. It had grown huge, about 18 inches long and 10 inches top to bottom. If another pic shows up I'll try to post it.

Hikenhunter

On a similar note, a dead fish was found in a small urban lake in Utah this week. It was identified (can't remember the name) as typically an home aquarium species related to the piranha but a vegetarian. It was probably thrown out into the lake when it's owner tired of careing for it. It had grown huge, about 18 inches long and 10 inches top to bottom. If another pic shows up I'll try to post it.
Probably a Pacu. They are from South America and look very much like a piranha, but the are vegetarians and get much bigger than the piranha's do.

jason

fear no beer
Well youtube has come up with a few videos lately of invasive species in Florida. Side note we had a monkey making the news lately being spotted in the area. It seems like we have more then 500 non-native species in Florida according to FWC. http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/ Came across that when researching if the coyote was native or not.