Active or laid back camper?

Gabbie

When you go camping are you always active and finding things to do? Or, do you like to just take it easy and do whatever you want when you want to? I think we are a little of both. :)

LovingNature

I guess I would say we are a little of both too. ;) Sometimes we are busy all day long doing something. Either hiking, swimming or maybe fishing. Then other times I like to just lay around by the lake, if camping by one or a pool, if at a campground and relax. It really just depends on the mood I guess. :)

oldsarge

Both, My goal in camping is to relax as much as possible. But I do like to get out and enjoy a short hike.

sailorman

Yeah, I think it really depends on my mood. There are times I am very active and don't stop until I drop. Then there are other times I am going with the intent of relaxing, and then I am laid back.

Hyde

I am a very active camper. When I get out I want to see anything and everything. For me camping is about exploring the unknown and getting as much exercise as possible.

oldmangunner

I used to be like that, but as I have gotten older I have found a greater appreciation for taking a more laid back approach to all things camping or backpacking.

ponderosa

Camping is generally just eating dinner and sleeping in between hikes. If I'm backpacking, I enjoy sitting around soaking up the scenery, but I really can't stand to just hang out in a campground.

Judy Ann

My best camping trips have been with the least amount of basecamp time and the greatest "outside of the norm" hiking experiences. I tried for a couple of days to relax by a beautiful lake swimming, floating and canoeing, but in the end the greatest thrills came from pushing myself, the car and my old dog to beyond what I thought the limits would be. But...I camp alone with my dog most of the time. :-(

IndianaHiker

Well since I backpack most of the day is spent getting to the destination. Once there normally don't move to much. However if I set up a base camp and explore from there then busy with day hikes during the day and lounge around at night.

Grandpa

Hate waking in the middle of the night all slept out, so I have to stay active all day. When backpacking, I like an early start, going for 8-10 miles the first day. Then as soon as I get camp set up, I'm off on an exploratory hike. I call this the cool down hike after shucking that pack. But if trails other than the next days travel are available, I may add another 5-10 miles just exploring. Or, if a nearby peak looks interesting, I may go walk up there. The key here is walk. I don't do any tech climbing, no way whatsovever.:fear:

carmen

I like the outdoors like I like my weekends, a little of both. Weekends just like being camping is a relaxing thing that I enjoy. I do not want to get too lazy with it though but kicking back sometimes is nice after a long hike.

southerngal

Depends on who we are with. We always have a great time either way though. Most of our recent trips have been a little more laid back.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I usually backpack or canoe camp so just getting to the campsite is all the activity I need. I may fish if the campsite is near water but other than that I just hang out in the hammock and read.

If we're going to be in the same spot for a full day or two, then I might go for a hike or see if I can do some geocaching in the area.

If we're staying in a campground it usually just as a cheap place to sleep so we're generally very active with hiking, sight seeing, dining out, geocaching, whatever. I don't understand how people hang around those places. It's like Newark with canvas walls.

Last edited:

AlwaysOutdoors

It really depends on where we are going camping at and who all will be with us. If we go by ourselves we are usually less active, just mostly getting away from it all and taking it easy doing what we want to do. If we have a few others with us, we more then likely will be busy hiking or fishing or just doing different things.

Gabbie

Well I'm glad I checked back in here to see what some prefer while camping. Looks like we have quite a variety of what likes to be done. :) Bottom line, just enjoy yourself!

Michelle

Depends on where we are. We'll do family hikes but a lot of time we send the husbands off with the kids and the women will take it easy. It's the men's concession to going on 'vacations' that we have to cook and clean on.

Michael

Both.

I'm usually active early on. I backpack to the camp. I generally gather much more fire wood (in the form of dead wood) than I'll actually use and then do at least some work getting it into a burnable form. There are always more camp chores that can be done; lately we've been buffing up the fire pit, which means finding and carrying rocks.

Once it starts to get toward evening, I'm generally pretty tired and then I just relax. Sitting around the camp fire takes up much of that time. Food needs to be cooked and eaten. Then it's of vital importance that we sit around the fire and shoot the shit until bed time (sometimes with an adult beverage or two).

Grandpa

When backpacking, fires are a bother, so after setting up, filtering enough water, I go exploring. If we are in a fires allowed area and if others want one, I'll do my share of wood gathering.

campclose

We usually are doing things during the day and then chilling out by the campfire at night. I love to take hikes and swim in waterfalls, and our favorite campground has both of these.

Hazel

I used to be a very active camper then I broke my ankle and things slowed down. However what I can't get in quality I try to make up in quantity. I've been camping 3x since. When the hurricane hit, The only things I tried to save was my camping gear. I keep buying new fishing tackle because I'll be perfectly willing to sit by a beautiful lake, stream, river, or ocean as long as my tent is pitched nearby.