Almost Mushroom Time

woodzman

We've had warmer weather earlier than usual here this spring and It's got me thinking about mushrooms. I noticed on the way home from work today that the trilliums are almost in flower and that means that the Morel mushrooms will be up soon. We've been enjoying wild leeks, dandelion greens and cowslips over the past couple weeks, but I can't wait for some fresh mushrooms. A nice venison steak smothered in Morels, with some wild leeks on the side is one of my favorite meals.

campclose

You can eat those mushrooms that you see in people's yards? I thought they were poisonous to eat. I usually just kick them down in our yard. They get so big and gross to look at.
I didn't know that you could eat them.

popupgirl

I have been seeing more trillium's popping up everywhere. We call them May flowers around here. I always picked a big bouquet when I was a child and took them to my Grandmother on May Day (May 1).

Bradsalex

Campclose, you should make sure and look up which type of mushrooms you can eat from the wild. There are some that do grow in the yard that may be dangerous and some that may be appropriate for consumption. I would check online and make sure they look the same.

woodzman

Campclose, you should make sure and look up which type of mushrooms you can eat from the wild. There are some that do grow in the yard that may be dangerous and some that may be appropriate for consumption. I would check online and make sure they look the same.
Brad's right, possitive identification is very important with any wild food.

campgirl

I wouldn't trust eating any wild mushrooms that I find in my yard. I've always been told that they are not good to eat too. Be careful campclose. I would not take the chance.