Alternative to expensive bear containers?

apbuil

Hi, I have a trip coming up and I need an alternative to expensive bear containers like the 'Bear Vault'. What did the old timers do when these containers weren't around? If anyone has any tried and true methods I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Just saw this post.

You can suspend your food, garbage, and smell-nice items from a high branch via rope. Make sure the cache is suspended at least 12 feet off the ground and at least 6 feet out from the tree trunk. This will keep smelly bruins from raiding your supplies. You can also lock the food in a vehicle, but keep the vehicle well away from tents and your main camp as bears have been known to break into vehicles too.

If you know about about food safety and bears then you also know to never, ever take food into your sleeping quarters - or any fragrant items for that matter. This also includes lady's fragrant sundries.

Michael

You can suspend your food, garbage, and smell-nice items from a high branch via rope. Make sure the cache is suspended at least 12 feet off the ground and at least 6 feet out from the tree trunk. This will keep smelly bruins from raiding your supplies.
You should be careful with this. Bears in some areas have learned to attack ropes on trees to release the tasty goodness above. There was even one case of a bear throwing her cubs up to catch onto hanging bags of food. Bears that have been exposed to people a lot tend to eventually figure out all the basic tricks and how to get around them.

A long time ago, people could rely on this trick anywhere and it would usually work. Unfortunately, over time, exposure to people has given bears plenty of chances to find ways around things like this.

If you're in an area with lots of bears, a bear-resistant container really is your best bet. They spend all their effort knocking the things around rather than ripping your tent apart looking for lip balm.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I have heard of this happening, but have not experienced it. Any time I feel the need to cache food it is well away from my camp. In those scenarios I do not even cook anywhere near my camp. Good point though.

IndianaHiker

Not sure where you are going but some place require that you use a bear container. This is for the bears protection as well as you own.

Here is a great site with some really good information for you. While ti si for black bears the information applies to all bears exept for what to do if you encounter a bear.
Camping & Hiking in Black Bear Country - The American Bear Association

Alos take heart not all container are that costly. Here is a good one at REI for a decent price. I bet you can look further online and find it for even less.

http://www.rei.com/product/624081?preferredSku=6240810017&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-6240810017&mr:trackingCode=5E734FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Last edited:

le Metis

I canoe more then backpack - and thus my solution for dealing with bears is different. My food and smellables are goosed necked within a heavy duty plastic bag. This then being placed inside a large dry bag and tied down inside the canoe. The canoe is then "sunk" and anchored to prevent drifting....also, I never camp in my cooking area. I'll prepare, and eat a meal first, then paddle at least a half mile or so to a suitable campsite ....

Bassale28

I have purchased on ebay used. These are very rugged items by design and everyday wear and tear is not going to effect them much. In fact, we take them with us even when backpacking in areas without bears. They keep critters out and make a nice seat or small table for cooking.

On my last trip to Yosemite not only did you have to have a bear barrel but it had to be one on their approved list. There was a poster in the backcountry office listing the models they would allow you to use. You had to specify this when you got your permit.

Sylo

I took a trip to Grand Teton a month ago where the ranger stations loaned out canisters for free. Might be something to inquire about if your visiting a state or national park. I also pack my food in bags that are supposedly odor proof. Not sure if they really work or not but I figure it can't hurt and they might prevent bears from being attracted to your food if you decide to hang it. The brand I found is called Opsak.

JimBarb

After discovering a squirrel enjoying peanut butter from a margerine container, which it had managed to drag out of what was thought to be a secured storage set-up.... I've gotten very particular about how foodstuffs get packed up.

I'm in love with a machine that vaccuum-seals food stuffs. It was "the" answer for us.

Refrigerator

I took a trip to Grand Teton a month ago where the ranger stations loaned out canisters for free. Might be something to inquire about if your visiting a state or national park. I also pack my food in bags that are supposedly odor proof. Not sure if they really work or not but I figure it can't hurt and they might prevent bears from being attracted to your food if you decide to hang it. The brand I found is called Opsak.
Sylo is right on the money....Opsak is one of the best out there. most NP has canisters free of charge. Or rent one from REI or other outfitter shops.