American Pickers

SpencerT

Does anyone watch the show, American Pickers? They buy a lot of antiques and sell them at prices that seem really ridiculous to me, but it seems there are people that collect that kind of stuff. I wonder if it's really that easy to do.

Hazel

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just check out e-bay sometime.

Lorax

The problem might be, that with all these auction and treasure hunting shows, including the storage unit shows, they will push up the price of things due to more demand as everyday weekend warriors flood the game on the weekends or try to make their million the same way.
So, I don't believe there will be many deals to be found as more and more people are stopping at farms and sheds to ask for a look around. It is happening.
Now.....a guy has a lot of junk and notices his "traffic" at his place goes up seven times. he knows the shows and knows that there's people all over looking for items. It becomes a game of holding out to see who will pay the biggest price. Supply and demand.

So you could actually do well with something like this, but it won't be as easy as perhaps it once was due to the popularity.

CampingFamily

I like to watch that show too along with Pawn Stars. I'm not sure how they come up with all of these new shows but some are fun to watch. It looks like a fun thing to do but then they only show the fun part of it.

beemerphill

Buying and selling "collectibles" used to be a neat way to pick up a couple of bucks, but with the net, Ebay, and shows like this, almost everyone knows what the going rate is for most items. It is the same way at gun shows these days. At one time, you could find some real bargains to fill out your collection. They are few and far between now days. If you check the prices at 5 tables, they will all be within 10% of each other. Sometimes closer. We live in the information age, and most people are smart enough to use the tools out there.
It is still fun to watch these shows, and if you keep your eyes open, there are a few real bargains to be had.

Grandpa

So, I don't believe there will be many deals to be found as more and more people are stopping at farms and sheds to ask for a look around. It is happening.

And the problem we are having is they are not stopping to ask. These shows have turned a lot of people into theives.

Lovefall

I love the show - but it's not something I would ever get into. I'm thinking you would need to know people to sell these items to before you bought them. I think it's fun to watch, but not something I would want to tie my time into.