Animals you encounter on a hike

Wild Bill

Most times I only get to see lizards and maybe a few rodents, but a friend of mine told me about a time he came across a bear cub.

Luckily he get away before the mommy bear found out about him.

What animals have you come across during a hike?

Christie

Nothing too exciting, but the kids still love it. We come across some chipmunks, bunnies and of course squirrels. We have also seen some pretty neat birds flying around that we don't see in the neighborhood.

Shanna

We usually see the regular stuff like the occasional deer, wild turkey, occasionally a black bear or two, occasionally a snake or a lizard. The ones that made me move the fastest though were the skunks we saw as we topped a small hill. We came down that hill a whole lot faster than we went up!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Bushman

I've seen birds and some bugs, the occasional squirrel or rabbit, but I have not ever seen any bears or bear cubs.

I guess I'm lucky or unlucky, depending on how you look at it, :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

climber4life

I've encountered bears and raccoons. I haven't ever seen a wild turkey, but I would very much love to see one. We've also seen the random little things as well.

Shanna

The wild turkeys are around our house. We have a lot of deer, rabbit, grey and red squirrels, snakes, frogs, salamanders, lizards and lots of birds. We live in a very wooded area and there are a lot of animals here. Sometimes too many-especially when we walk out on the porch and there is a snake there! EEKKKKK!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Pebbles

We see squirrels and chipmunks mostly when we hike the trail close to our home. We actually see deer quite frequently in our neighborhood. They can be quite a driving hazard early in the morning.

summer

I have seen squirrels and rabbits. Nothing too exciting.

Once my son was on a hike and he ran into a skunk! It was so funny. He called me from his cell phone and asked what he should do. I said RUN and hope it doesn't spray you!

Reese

I think the scariest and most interesting thing I have seen was a mountain lion! Fortunately, it was very far away, but you can bet I left immediately!

energystuff

Once when I was hiking at the Arastradero Preserve near Palo Alto, CA I came across a wild tarantula! It was so cool to see that thing crawling across the trail in the wild. I've hiked there many times since but never say another one :)

dinosaur

troublemaker
Aside from squirrel, rabbit, deer and myriad birds, the most common animals you run into here in the midwest are coons, opossum and polecats. I've also seen a number of coyotes and both red and grey fox. Keep your eyes open as most of these animals won't let you get that close.