Any Confrontations with Predators?

dinosaur

troublemaker
If you run into a clown that deep in the woods, your best bet is to shoot the bastard. He's obviously up to no good.

MosseyOakGirl

Hubby came across a Grizzly up behind Pinuas Lake in BC. He was out checking fences and checking cattle with the bosses son. They had brought the guns and tents and about 2 or 3 in the morning the horses started snorting and the picket pins got ripped out and they went running down the mountain. A sow and 2 cubs started huffing and both of them aimed at her at 30 feet. She was trying to scent them and gave another snort/huff and she called to the cubs who came down out of the tree and they took off the other way. Scary! But huge adrenaline rush. The 8 mile walk down settled them back down though :)

JameyStanley

Me and my best friend were out exploring when he asked if I wanted to stop and check out this cave he heard about. I love caves so I wanted to go. We were exploring these little cave openings when we found one that went deep into the main cave system. It was almost big enough to stand up in and it was dry. Right off the bat we started seeing animal sign, leaf beds, little animal holes, and lots of scat. We got about 30 yards into the cave when it started getting narrow, I had to crawl on my stomach and wriggle trough we got about 20 more yards and my buddy says hey look at that, I turn and about 2 inches from my hand is the scattered remains of some poor animal. I turn back to look at where I was headed. I could only see about 10 feet and the cave seemed to go on forever. I turned back to say something to my friend and then looked back at where I was going. There was a bob cat 10 feet away and it was headed for me. I couldn't really do anything, so i yelled "OH CRAP!!" my friend yelled "what?" back and I yelled "Bob cat! bob cat! back up! back up!" The bob cat stopped and turned around and went further into the cave. We backed out, and left the cave as calmly and quickly as we could.

oldsarge

I walked upon a large jungle cat with it's kill. I was with four others who were trailing behind me. As we were negotiating a narrow trail along some rocky terrain, I walked out from around a large out cropping of rock where I saw it at about 30 feet or so, a large black panther with it's foot on something. It was starring at me as I popped out of nowhere. I stopped and the others kind of bumped into me, all asking why I stopped. Of course they all had to see and started pushing their way out. I was being pushed into the open more and as more folks started to pop out the cat started to hiss, then grabbed his dinner and ran off. If I had been alone I might have been worried but since there were other with me I figured I could always cut one of them and run. This took place on the Atlantic side of Panama in 1989.

Grandpa

Last June, ole dog and I was hiking along a trail in the Frank Church wilderness when we spotted this vicious critter waiting to spring on us and devour us.

[/IMG]
I couldn't get this picture to load when this thread was active so thought I would bring it up again

oldsarge

Interesting. When was the last time a Tsavo lion ate somebody?
1991 I believe...I could be wrong, not quite the African expert here. Just happens that I read this a while back when someone pulled it up on the internet.

ryoga-kun

I use a whistle and blow it every now and then if I'm feeling nervous about predators. I think it works well. Haven't had any trouble. It's the snakes I'm worried about.