Anyone Bring a Guide or Handbook?

Chippin

One of my favorites to bring when I have the room is a nature handbook that has illustrations and and region maps of all North American animals and plants located in the area. It's more of a tradition to bring it with me- not exactly something I start reading while walking around in the wilderness. Still, it's a great reference, especially because I'm not always familiar with the plants in the area and want to know what they are.

How about you all?

FireBuilder

I rarely bring guidebooks with me, although I stash several in my car. I carry my camera and journal to record what I find, then use my reference guides when I get back. (I just know that if I carry my tree book, I'll find a butterfly, and if I bring my tree book I'll find a frog!)

Barney

I love carrying guides and manuals on the road. Nothing like the silence of the woods for reading and learning. Sometimes I don't care what book (not necessarily related to nature life) I bring.

Betty

Absolutely. Hiking and field guides go hand in hand. For me a hike isn't just about going from Point A to Point B, it's also about studying about what's between the two.

sherbearski

Good outdoor adventure books?

I always bring along a book to read while camping/hiking/backpacking! It is particularly enjoyable to read something about the area I am visiting whether it be fiction or non fiction. When I was in the Moab, Ut area I read Edward Abbey's book, "Desert Solitaire". It was great reading his descriptions and observations of the area from an earlier time. I would be lost without a book when I go on my adventures! I also like to bring those laminated booklet type guides to identifying flowers/plants and trees.
I'm always on the look out for outdoor adventure type books, again fiction or non, but historically correct. Does anyone have any recommendations? I recently read "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm about Randy Morgenson, a ranger in the High Sierra's who went missing. It was excellent and i would recommend it. Happy Trails!:tinysmile_twink_t:

Gondor

This is definitely something I should be doing but I don't. I need to find reliable references of plants, especially mushrooms and try to find something interesting.