Anyone ever come across...

peanut

Has anyone ever come across anything illegal while hiking? I watched an episode of Weeds where this happened and it made me think that maybe this actually happens.

jason

fear no beer
I still remember up in Long Island a group of friends and me were hiking. We came across a building in the middle of no where with two limos. Now we cannot say what they were doing, because we were too busy running in the other direction. But it was a strange thing to see.

limaker

Nothing illegal but odd yes. I know once as a teen in middle of a place that should be mostly all deserted we found cows. No idea who they belonged to, how they got there, and no where need a road. Very odd indeed.

foxylady

Jason, I would have been running in the other direction myself it being a deserted area of Long Island with 2 limos!

I haven't ever come across anything illegal myself but it might be interesting.

TribalP

It would be scarier if you were back and have seen neither the building nor the limos. :D I never saw any illegal things either and I feel grateful for that.

Last edited:

Newanderthal

I've found some random weed plants growing. Didn't look deliberate. Most likely someone dropped some seeds while rolling a joint.

greengrass

I would bet that most serious hikers have passed marijuana plants at some point in their lives, though they may overlook them. I've never come across anything while hiking. But I did find marijuana in a local field once. Kept my mouth shut about it! :)

TribalP

LOL You make me afraid. I swear I never read this thread and the replies, I never replied it myself, I never visited this forum. I don't even now the URL. I know nothing!

Alliegator

Yeah, believe it or not, we found an honest to God moonshine still. We saw smoke and thought it was probably other hikers but when we got up close we saw a moonshine still. We took a circuitous route instead of going up and saying HI!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

We didn't say anything about it either. We never went there again either.

greengrass

Moonshine! In my area there are tons of people who make moonshine and sell it secretly. I guess they have to make it somewhere but never thought about where that might be. lol

Jimbo

I've come across weed plants many times myself while hiking. Nothing illegal though. I guess I could've called the cops anyway and had them arrest the earth for possession with intent. LOL

HikingGuy

There was an older lady who went for a walk in the woods a few years back, she found this plant growing in a bucket and brought it home with her, she later found out what she had brought home was marijuana. She was mortified. It's not uncommon to find that sort of thing growing in the woods where I live.

oldsarge

While out geocaching, my friend came across a very nice compound bow and some equipment. Obviously someone was poaching in the local preserve and hid all his gear there. Around here, getting caught even having that stuff in your vehicle on Forest Preserve property can get you arrested. I've seen folks fined for carrying out deer antlers they have found while hiking. Being a stand up guy who believes in upholding the local laws. He simply moved everything to another location and marked it on his GPS. Later he posted what he had found and the coords to the equipment. Somebody ended up going out there and snagging it up.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yeah, when you smell the sour mash and see a plume of smoke rising out of the woods, your best bet is to walk away. I rode up on one a long time ago on my mountain bike. I'd guess I was within a third of a mile. I made a ninety degree turn and rode off.

Jobiwan

Vermont's Long Trail tends to draw in the stoneys. It's not uncommon to stay at a shelter with a couple of people who smoke. It doesn't bother me. I would rather stay with someone who is stoned than a person who is drunk. Last October I did a 25 mile stretch on the LT and could smell weed the whole trip. It came from these two guys who were backpacking the same section and were ahead of me. I eventually passed them and arrived at the shelter I stayed at. This older gent was already there with a fire started and he asked if I smoked. I asked why and he said he found some weed that was pre rolled. I declined it but when the other two guys arrived they gladly took the old mans gift.

Jade

A few stills here and there, a few pot fields... evidence of poaching, which really browns my toast...

The green stuff isn't as big an issue where I am, the stuff will grow rogue here.