Anyone try SUP?

cabinfever

For those who haven't heard of it, S.U.P. is stand up paddleboarding and it seems to be the latest craze, especially on the coasts. I think it looks like fun, plus good exercise, so I'm thinking of scheduling a class to try it out.

Grandpa

Go for it. Not much SUP out here on the sage brush ocean but I have a nephew on the east coast that does it.

wvbreamfisherman

Doesn't particularly appeal to me, but lots of folks seem to enjoy it. I suppose I could get a long paddle and paddle my canoe standing up ....

ChadTower

I have seen people doing it. They appear to be limited as to how far they can go from the shore. I'm not sure why, but there has to be some reason, as every person I've seen doing it is hugging the coastline like they're afraid to go over their head.

DuctTape

My wife has one. She loves it. Major core workout she says. Just standing on it requires muscluar work.
Waves are difficult to deal with for balance reasons.

cabinfever

Cappy, I don't think this is just a weird fad, though. I've seen yoga classes and other exercises combined with SUP - not that I plan on doing yoga, but it's interesting. What I like the most, is that you can get into some spots that are difficult to do by any other means so you can see wildlife and sealife closer than by boat.

I checked into it and found a great deal so will be trying this next month. I'm going to spring for classes for my wife's birthday - I think she'll really like it.

TakeAHike

I have not tried it yet, but it looks like a lot of fun. People are always doing it out at the lake. Is the equipment expensive? I saw the other day that there is a yoga class being taught on the paddle boards. That sounds like it would be tough!

DuctTape

When my wife gets tired (it IS a workout), she lies down on it and sunbathes. she holds the stern line of my canoe while I fish so she doesnt float too far away.

Sagebrusher

A couple of years ago I saw some people doing it while on a multi-day trip though the canyons of Dinosaur National Monument, which is up to Class IV! However, the area I saw them in was flat water. I bet they rode their support rafts through the rapids.

Newanderthal

It's really big here in Charlotte and I'm starting to see it in the swamps of Louisiana. One group does bayou tours near my hometown. It looks fun, especially on flat water like lakes and bayous. I wouldn't want to catch the wake of a bass boat while standing on one, which is probably why so many SUPers hug the shore.

Grandpa

Being a mountain boy, my first thought about paddling around down south........water moccasins !! I think I need some sidewalls when I'm down there. That, and a brimless hat so I can watch the overhanging trees. Me and rattlesnakes get along okay. I leave them alone and they leave me alone, but I've heard tales about those moccasins being a little more agressive. Any truth to that?

Newanderthal

I've heard tales about those moccasins being a little more agressive. Any truth to that?
Living 30 years in Louisiana and spending much of that time outdoors, I've encountered more moccasins than I can count and every one reacted the same way... they watched me until I got close and then slithered away. People keep telling me that they're aggressive and maybe some are, I've just NEVER encountered one like that.

But the brimless hat is a good idea. I've seen lots of critters hanging out in the leaning branches of trees. Animals get spooked by a passing paddler and they tend to drop... sometimes into your boat.

Laffeet

It has caught on really fast here in Florida. It looks like a fun way to get out on the water on calm days. I have watched people go out for the first time and learn it pretty fast. I think it's for short trips only because there's no way to carry anything. I'm lazy enough to keep letting my sails do the work. :)

Lorax

There's little packs you can strap to the boards for gear while you're out doing it. I saw a person not only have a bunch of gear strapped on but was doing it sitting on a makeshift seat of some sort.
The whole time, i was wondering if he had ever heard of a thing called a "canoe".

cabinfever

I just got back from my first SUP tour/class. It was 1.5 hours, with the first half hour being the class part so we could get a feel for what we're doing. The other hour was paddling through part of the marsh during high tide. It's cool because we got to see things you just can't see normally because you can't get to them. It definitely is a workout, mainly with my shoulders.