Are you really camping?

swebob

Since i dont have the luxuries of having the money to buy anything but a tent i do the best with what i have. If i won the lottery tomorrow i will run right out a by an RV just to give it a shot but i would still take time too tent camp when i can. Do what you like and works for you i say..

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I think Shakespeare said it best:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.'

Joe S.

The dictionary defines camping as "going to a recreational place in the country". (Notice it is not defined as going to the city.) I think the destination has more to do with it than what kind of temporary structure you sleep in once you're there.

BGreen

It depends on what you want out of your camping experience. Many people who get outside with their RVs would never sleep in a tent or on the ground. Still, they enjoy what they do. Many a wife who would prefer an upscale hotel will go along with an RV but never a tent.

Cappy

We had company this week so Peggy and I moved out to the camper in the yard. Our company thought us very gracious, but truth be told we would rather sleep out there than in the house with company. We like our privacy for reasons I'll let ya guess at.:tinysmile_tongue_t: Remember I spent a month on da boat and last week was my first week home. Anyways, we spent several nights by the fire pit in da yard, bbqed, roasted wienees, did some pickin and grinnin, in short some yard camping. We may not have packed a pack miles down a trail but we had a great time with friends out in the jungle that is our yard. You are right it aint camping. It's enjoying teh out doors with good friends and reveling in what God gave us to enjoy.

EmberMike

I say anything where you're leaving the house and sleeping in something that's not a permanent structure probably qualifies as camping.

These days it seems like we can't be too picky about it. Kids just want to play video games and text their friends. If you're getting out into the fresh air, even if you're sleeping in a RV, I call that a win for camping.

TroyS

That's a very good point, Ember. My motorhome has become sort of like our middle ground to get my kids to spend some time outdoors doing a bit of hiking and enjoying the outdoors with me and my wife. Would we want to a bit more rugged kind of camping with them? In time, hopefully.

EmberMike

Now that I think about it more, I'd say camping is more defined by what you do than where you are or what you're sleeping in. RV camping is still camping if you're getting out and enjoying nature. If your kids didn't leave the RV and stayed inside all day with an Xbox, that's not really an activity that's in the spirit of camping.

DuctTape

Like most things there is a continuum. Is a remote cabin in the middle of the wilderness camping? It is a permanent structure most closely resembling a house. Is a tent in the backyard of a suburban development camping? The land and view is no different than that of the house occupants. Is it camping when one hikes 20 miles deep into the woods, sleeps under nothing more than a canvas or nylon tarpaulin and watches the tv they carried in powered by a generator? I think the term camping is such a broad category and there are different locations, gear, activities which do not define nor preclude one from "camping". For me, I cannot define it for whenever I try there seems to be something which would make an exception or contradict the definition. Thus, I do not camp... I enjoy the outdoors.

ejdixon

Now that I think about it more, I'd say camping is more defined by what you do than where you are or what you're sleeping in. RV camping is still camping if you're getting out and enjoying nature. If your kids didn't leave the RV and stayed inside all day with an Xbox, that's not really an activity that's in the spirit of camping.
My sister would still pack the XBox for her kids, but she has set the rule that they can only use it while they are on the road. Her kids can get very antsy while they are on the road. The moment that they arrive at the site, it gets packed back under lock and key (literally!). At least while they are at the campground, they are able to spend time outdoors with us.

Gondor

All good comments. I figure if you don't like camping with a trailer or some giant house on wheels, more power to you. You have the ability to camp in places an RV won't go.
Exactly! If I'm shooting for comfort I will usually go rent a hotel room near by. But I rarely do that. My backpack fits most of the stuff I need.

erk469

I don't have an RV...for many reasons..but I did build a camping trailer to store all our families gear in, tents, sleeping bags, cooler and I even built a little kitchen on it for my coleman stove. I still love sleeping in a tent, maybe now with a sleeping pad. I just love having to setup your campground.

ppine

Forester
It is camping if you say it is. Other people's opinions are irrelevant.
Is it fun should be the question.

Pathfinder1

swebob;
Since i dont have the luxuries of having the money to buy anything but a tent i do the best with what i have. If i won the lottery tomorrow i will run right out a by an RV just to give it a shot but i would still take time too tent camp when i can. Do what you like and works for you i say..

Hi...

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd get a Ford 550 4X4 and build a mini-motel on the back...!!

Everybody knows something.

totaloutdoorsman

always outdoors
i have a popup camper that i got for free and only have the the price of registration and camo paint. i did an axel flip. basically it is a glorified tent but it works great with 2 small kids, but i also love using a tent