Are You Serious? You Can't Wait for a Trashcan?

Chippin

I'm a little irritated about the trash people have been throwing at one of the major lakes I fish at. They have a nice winding trail around the expanse of the lake that I hike on regularly during the Spring and Summer months.

It's a really pretty place, or would be if it weren't for the other people who walk this trail, littering the dirt path with drinks, Mcdonald's wrappers, and yes, I've seen empty condom wrappers as well.

The funny thing is that there are trashcans every hundred yards or so, giving people plenty of opportunity to throw away their trash. It's like they can't wait, they just throw all their goodies without thinking of the unfortunate people that have to come across it.

I can't be the only one who's come across such a trail. It irritates me. The Fish and Wildlife person who patrols the lake never reports about all the trash, and because people can get away with it, they just keep messing up what was once a very nice lake. It's sad.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It's not just sad, it is costly. The trash people leave causes the park district or whatever authority is reponsible to clean up after the offenders. That costs you as a taxpayer. If the official is not reporting it, report him. If you don't you are just someone who complains but doesn't do anything about it. Don't be a wuss. Do something.

Rider One

That is so annoying. People just don't care, and that is so wrong. I know what you are talking about because I see it all around here, too. People are lazy. I wish we could change that fact.

Frederico

It seems to me that people just don't think - they simply toss their trash away. It must go back to fundamentals - their children will copy them. We need to target the children with right pricipals - it's probably too late for the adults who behave like this.

If I see it happening I have to admit that I rarely say anything - guess I'm scared of getting thumped.

Chippin

I have reported this to our official at the lake a few times, and over and over again they assure me that something will be done about the matter. I give the guy the benefit of a doubt, don't come back to that lake for a couple weeks.

I come back, and it's all the same. I know that it affects me as a taxpayer, which is why the problem really hits home. Why should I help fund a place that can't even be properly cleaned up?

And yes, kids should learn how to throw away trash as soon as they are able to think. Not only is it good for the environment, but it's just common sense to throw 'trash' away in a 'trash' can.