ATV vs Motorcyle

paloma

One has only two wheels and the other has four wheels. Which performs better in rough terrains where there are no established trails? Which is more safe off road?

Grandpa

People kill themselves rather frequently on both when leaving common sense back at the trailhead. But, if you are a survivor they both have their place, depending on your skill. I know a couple of guys that can get a two wheeler into places a 4x4 can't dream of. However, most of us don't have that kind of skill or else we brought a few more micromeasurements of careful along. If you have to carry much with you then a 4x4 is much the better.

oldsarge

I'd say a 4X4 would be better in extreme conditions. Like Grandpa stated, you can carry more with you. I do enjoy two wheeled bikes but balancing in rough terrain came be an issue at times. I've taken a 6X6 Polaris in some really rough areas in Alaska and the stability of having that wide base for support comes in handy. As far as safety goes, it all comes down to common sence.

outwest

I would head out with an atv over a bike any day, but that is mostly due to not riding a bike in the longest time and knowing my current skill level. I have the balance of a broken ballerina.

JimBob

I'd have to go with ATV's as being safer. I haven't wiped out on one of those, but I have wiped out on a motorcycle dirt bike. I have a habit of putting my foot on the ground while turning and it doesn't ever end up good for me.

rockin

I'm going with the ATV for sure. I can't imagine taking a motorcycle on any rough terrain! A dirt bike, possibly but I feel much safer on 4 wheels. I ride my 4-wheeler all over the place (where there are no trails).

lefties

They both have a purpose,in the outback I love an atv but in tight brush or forest the travelling can be limited.

campclose

4-Wheelers for sure! I would not want to drive a motorcycle in rough terrain - never. Wait a minute, I wouldn't want to drive a motorcycle anywhere. I love 4-Wheelers, they are a blast!

ppine

Forester
I use to work on both types of machines because our 4wd trucks were stuck all the time working in light sand. The 4 wheel ATVs can go much slower than a MC, which makes them better in really rough terrain. ATVs are really heavy though, so when you make a mistake and end up with one on its side, in a deep gully or wash, or upside down they are a pain to try to manhandle and get unstuck. ATVs can carry a lot more stuff including extra fuel for really long days. Both have their advantages. Motorcycles take more skill in really rough country. They are lighter and faster and really good under some conditions.

Bojib

I honestly always enjoyed riding a bike more. It'd definitely more of a work out though, and they are easier to wreck on. I just think they have more of a fun factor when riding. I gave up on them because all my friends went to ATV's, and it's too tough to try and mix bikes and ATV's together. I was always miles out ahead of them when riding the bike, it was just easier to cover more ground faster.

Now, I too have a 4x4 ATV. I've had one for several years now, nearing up on twenty years of riding one. They are pretty stable, and can cover some really rough territory. They are big and heavy these days, much more so than they were when I first started riding. So, when you do wreck, it's much more difficult to get them righted, and much easier to get hurt.

I have my ATV outfitted with a couple different types of additional storage, a small cooler rack, and an additional fuel carrier, so I can spend long periods of time out on the trails. I don't get as tired riding an ATV as I did the bike, and I can definitely carry more with me.

Now, my friends are all switching over to UTV type Off Highway Vehicles. They are even more comfortable, and seem to be quite a bit safer. I don't have the money for one, but I really would like to get a Polaris RZR. Most of my friends have the Yamaha Rhino, and they all seem to like them. Luckily, UTV's and ATV's mix well, and can ride together well. The only place a UTV really seems to outshine an ATV is steep hill climbs and off cambers.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I agree with all of these posts excepting the preferential choices. Both have their place and uses. But, if you're that worried about safety, what are you doing out in the wilderness on either one of them?