Autumn Camping Dont's

Gwen

We'd like to experience camping during autumn, and I've read some sage advice from this site about what to do or to bring. What about precautions or some don't do's that we should remember?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Autumn camping is terrific but it does get rather chilly at night. Stay warm and when the frost settles in the morning, everything you have outside had best be waterproof.

IndianaHiker

Warmer sleeping bag and warmer cloths no need to worry much. Not a whole lot difference then summer. Myself I backpack 3 of the 4 seasons. Summer is the one that I avoid love the cooler weather.

Skeeterbait

Layers are your best friend. Don't bundle up in anything that can't easily be removed if you have to cool off, and don't forget to bring a jacket in case it gets colder than you think.

FreeWilly

I don't really think there are any precautions other than the one mentioned above about being prepared for the cool temperatures. Maybe I could add, don't set the leaves on fire or something. Although I do love the smell of them burning. :p

Grandpa

Great advice so far. As a recap to the above posts, be prepared for wide temperature swings. Layering of clothes is a must. Make sure everything is under cover at night. Six inches of partly cloudy in the morning makes it difficult to find your gear. And stay dry.

Eaglescout 49

I don't know where you are posting from, but in northern climes, such as here in North Dakota, a weather radio or a smart phone with weather apps are a pretty good idea. A winter storm can move in with incredible speed, and if you're not ready for it in terms of gear and clothing, a little forewarning will get you out and home.

I readily agree with the other posters, especially in regard to layering.

Have fun -- fall camping is the best.

wvbreamfisherman

Can't add much to the above. Be prepared for crappy weather. Wear layers. Have a backup plan. Bring extra food- you use more calories in cool weather. Be careful of open fires.

SweetSassyLady

It's amazing the things you can see when you go camping in the Fall. Weather can be a greater factor though and you need to be prepared for any type of weather. It's been cold and rainy here for the last several days and I wouldn't have wanted to be out in it. So be prepared to head for home if the weather turns really bad. But a nice fire feels very good when it's colder out at night.

ejdixon

Looks like everyone else has said it all. Make sure that before you head out to always check the weather channel or website. They usually provide weeklong forecasts. If the weather forecast has a very good chance of turning really foul, best to forego your camping trip the following week. Also make sure to keep yourself updated with the use of the radio or phone app.

CozInCowtown

Do not pet the porcupines late Autumn, or early spring also.
The rest of the year it is okay as long as it is being recorded for YouTube.
I hope this helps,
DC

login

If you're backpacking use a foam mat, not an air mattress.
You'll be warmer on chilly nights.

Grandpa

If you camp in the Rockies you may wake up to new snow. But don't eat it if it's Yellow.

freedommachine

I'll add somthing to this, camping in fall time bee's and wasps can be very aggresive. Yellow jackets become more aggresive during autumn when the colony begins to die out except for the queen. Since yellow jackets nest in the ground among other places, flip flops, bafe feet can be a bad thing when the yellow jackets are becoming aggresive. So if you are allergic to stings or do not know, it would be best to be on the safe side and stay covered up with protective clothing.

isabelle

Do any of you think pre-teen girls would be okay? I'm sure I'd do fine but when it's younger kids I always worry. I guess I could take a parents poll to see if they'd even let their daughters go.

Rosie

If you are camping in the fall please be aware that this is also hunting season in many places so make sure you check to see you are out during the hunting window. If so, be sure to wear orange hat or vest to avoid getting shot while collecting firewood.

IndianaHiker

Do any of you think pre-teen girls would be okay? I'm sure I'd do fine but when it's younger kids I always worry. I guess I could take a parents poll to see if they'd even let their daughters go.
The girls will be fine. Don't worry so much the kids are more resilient than the adults. I backpack three seasons out of the year. Summer is the one that I stay home I don't like the heat. Bring warmer cloths, a heavier sleeping, bag, use common sense and you will have a good time. On thing I have seen from taking out people new to backpacking is that they often over analyze things and create to many artificial worries and don't go because of that. My advise is you are camping close to your car is simply just go. If you find you are not comfortable get in the car and leave. Chalk it up to a learning experience and then when you go again remember what you learned from the last experience.

ponderosa

They'll be just fine. I have a toddler and a pre-schooler who have been tent camping in 3 seasons in the Rocky Mountain states since they were a few weeks old. In winter, we cross country ski and stay the night in yurts. Bring appropriate clothes and sleeping gear, and have a good time with your family.