Backyard

orchard

If you love the outdoors as much as you say you do, what is in your backyard? We have started to fix up "this old house" and I am amazed at how much you can covert a yard into your own private oasis. So far we only have a few things but in time it could be great.

KeikoOka

Right now we are working on a privacy fence for a part of our yard, we have a camp fire ring and a small gazebo with a picnic table. We would like to do more, but it is slow going because we make one update a year.

orchard

A fence is huge on our list and we have gotten three quotes, I can not believe how expensive they are!! We need to setup the hammocks for us and still grab a smaller fire pit but the yard is slowly coming together.

dinosaur

troublemaker
My back yard is fifty acres of woods, savannah and a swamp that is partially dug out into a pond that has bluegill, bass, perch and channel catfish along with several other species of panfish and baitfish. I love my backyard.

freedommachine

I live on 43 acres, I could have fixed somthing up but its not the same as taking off into the mountains and feeling the fresh air. I would rather use the money spent around the house for more camping gear or gas or anything to get away from home.Where I live though I can be at 6000-8000 feet in elevation in a half hour drive. So its not like I have far to go to hike and camp.

Last edited:

Refrigerator

I live within the Mt Rogers Recreation Area, Jefferson NF in VA. NO traffic lights, stores, malls, walmart's for 20 miles. Nearest post office 18 miles.

Very remote with the highest and second highest Mt's In Va.

Judy Ann

Urbanite here with a very small backyard bordering on forest. I am still planting this years kitchen herb garden and the lily beds are starting to come alive, as always too late for Easter. The azaleas are in full bloom and the dogwoods are still snowing. The oak trees have progressed from an odd yellow-green color and are becoming a more vibrant light green. Tree pollen is everywhere!

The sugar maples are perhaps my favorite, but in the not too distant future the ancient old magnolias will put on a display that cannot be ignored or ever forgotten once seen especially if you have ever hidden deep within the branches that gracefully curve down, over, and up off the ground. Oh to encounter a small child hiding amongst the limbs and share a secretive smile before either the parent or dog calls for an immediate appearance.

Did I mention how the wisteria winds around the pines as the lavender/purple blossoms dance in the breeze or how the weeping cherry trees sound while sitting beneath them as delicate pink petals fall about? The cardinals are abundant this year. I miss seeing the males perched in the uppermost branches as they sing their songs, the leaves hide them now. Mockingbirds greet the new dawn.

The rain dances on the porch roof as my old dog sits on the rug next to my favorite chair. We both sigh. I am enjoying sipping on my single malt and she, well she is probably waiting for me to get off my butt and take her for a walk in the rain...