Baddest Machete on the Planet!

Newanderthal

Has anyone else ever used one of these?

It's the Ontarior Knives 18" Machete. It has a soft rubber grip and a blade that's a bit thicker than your average machete. The things run for about $15 but they don't chop like a $15 machete and they don't vibrate your hand like one either. This thing bites deep.

Am I the only guy using one of these or is everyone using Cold Steel and Gerber?

Agfadoc

I don't have that particular machete, but have a ton of Ontario knives, their value to performance is hard to beat. Now I'll have to take another look, thanks.

cabinfever

I have a machete, but it's way old and from South America. It was given to me by my uncle, who got it from his father. His father got it from a native back in World War II. Thing is handmade and unbelievable. They don't make things like they use to and probably never did that well for mass production.

Cappy

I have a nice thick machete that lives in my jeep.Not sure of brand but its long thick and sharp. I aint used it in a couple years since I aint been trapping lately. For around the house, campin g , general bush crafty stuff My knife of choice is a cane knife, like this:
Farm Machete,Sugar Cane Knife,M213 Photo, Detailed about Farm Machete,Sugar Cane Knife,M213 Picture on Alibaba.com.

They are great sturdy chopping knives and about all I use for wood and pole cutting etc. I also use them in cleaning some fish and game. I am sure New' knows what I am talkin 'bout

briansnat

Platnium Member
Just curious, why would anybody need a machete unless they are hiking in the Amazon jungles?

I've been hiking and backpacking for decades and I can't think of one time I wished I had a machete with me.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
There's plenty of use for a machete in the dense woods. Mine was made in San Salvador. Bought it there myself.

Newanderthal

They are great sturdy chopping knives and about all I use for wood and pole cutting etc. I also use them in cleaning some fish and game. I am sure New' knows what I am talkin 'bout[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
Cane knives are great. I got a $5 special from the pawn shop and love that thing. The brush hook on the back makes it perfect for clearing the fence line. Chop bushes down, then drag them out without reaching my hand into what might be the hiding spot of a snake.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

A machete might never be needed...unless you find out that you can't make it back to base in a timely manner...for some unfortunate reason. Then it may have many uses...mostly of a survival nature.

When I'm afield for a day or more, I generally carry one. Sort of the "spare tire" for outdoor people.

For general outdoor uses, it can function both as a hatchet and a knife.

ppine

Forester
New,
The machete in the photo is a very old design. Sugar cane cutters have used ones like it for hundreds of years. I have a similar looking machete that my Dad brought back from El Salvador in about 1965. It has a fancy leather sheath with a lot of embellishment and on the blade is says "El Mosquito."