Bare neccessities

southerngal

What are the bare neccessities you need to be able to catch fish if you were stranded in the wilderness? Like say you just wanted to carry the equivalent of a small tackle box in your gear.

woodzman

I carry a little container with some line, hooks, sinkers and a few flies in it. I've never been in a situation where I really needed it, but I've used it to catch a few trout now and then when I came across a likely looking pool and didn't have a rod with me.

2Live1Well

Being from the south too, I make sure to have a knife, sturdy line, a few hooks, split shot, and some artificial bait. You can usually dig in the leaves to find a grub or worm for live bait or if it is nice out catch a grasshopper.

CFlyer

I don't usually bring things for fishing but we can do something even though we don't have tools. If we see a pool or stream with fishes, we can block the exits with boulders and mud. Then we try to remove the water from that blocked area and we can catch the fish by hand or by a stick.

cdavis

I have a mini kit that i got in a survival pack that i upgraded, it came with line and a few hooks and some splitshot nothing else, i added a small bobber, some rubber grubs, and a few jigs. i have friends so keep those mini pen poles in their emergency gear but that is not needed, a stick can work just as well or just hand lineing