Battery Charger?

pinkiwong

I will be going to my first camping trip in a month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good portable batter charger for iphone and ipad? due to work i will still need to have access to them, but i want to make sure that i will have enough battery to last the whole trip...

Grandpa

Not sure about a charger but my tip for the day concerns battery life. "Temperature extremes shorten battery life. Keep battery powered items out of direct sunlight during the day and close to the body to keep them warm at night."

bsmit212

Are you going to be car camping or backpacking? If you are car camping you have lots of options. You can use your car of course, depending on where you camp they might have power at the sites (aka set up for RV) or some might have power in the bathrooms, solar options. If you are backpacking I would suggest looking into solar options, there are a couple out there. Never used them but I think some floks on the site have. Finally, again if you are backpacking, do you have to be reachable at all times. If not might want to concider just leaving off during the day and only turn on at night, do what you need to do and turn off again as this will help save battery life.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Turn them OFF when not using them. If you only use them for work sparingly you can stretch a battery for three days or more.

New Trent and Mophie both make iPhone/Pad battery packs that I've heard good things about. You suffer a weight penalty. If you plan to use solar, are you going to be in the sun for long periods, or mostly under tree cover? What if it's overcast that weekend?

Hikenhunter

If you are car camping you might want to check out power packs such as the Duracell 600HD. Just GOOGLE power packs. Basically they are 12 volt deep cell batteries with built in power inverters that allow you to run A/C appliances off of them. We use the Duracell 600HD but there are many others ou there. We chose the one we have because you can recharge it through an outlet in your home or by plugging it into your cigaette lighter in your vehicle as you drive. You can run 3 A/C appliances and one DC appliance at the same time.It also comes with a set of jumper cables, just in case. But there are many models to choose from. Hope you choose one that works for you as well as mine has worked for me.

pinkiwong

i will be backpacking, so i wont have a car to charge. so ive been google-ing and researching online and found one on new trent's website has anyone used one or know of someone that used one? it sounds pretty good and decent price.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I was going to suggest to taking an extra battery but then I saw the iPhone/iPad. There are a few different options out there. Just Google "iphone phone battery chargers" and you find 100s of options.

hummingbird

I've seen several solar options but you would have to have them out in the sun to charge. If you are backpacking, you may be moving during the day so charging would be challenging. Good luck and I hope you find a good one.