Beginner's Backpacks

Newanderthal

I keep seeing people asking what kind of backpack they should get for their first overnight backpacking trip. Though everyone has their own opinion as to what pack is best, the general consensus is that a beginner should start with a beginner's pack. By that I mean people taking their first overnight trip shouldn't rush out and purchase a $300 Gregory. The first backpacking trip is like a trial run, and if, after a few trips, they find they do not like backpacking, they should have spent less rather than more. If it becomes a regular activity, then more serious money can be spent and nicer gear purchased. However, any gear a person buys should still hold up to the abuse its likely to experience in the first few years, in case the beginner becomes a more active enthusiast.

With that in mind, I've found SEVERAL heavy-medium duty internal frame backpacks that are a perfect size for overnight trips for $150 or less.

JANSPORT KLAMATH 55 $89
At 3300 cui it may be a little on the small side for a beginner, but it should fit fine for anyone hiking in the warmer months when a heavy sleeping bag and thick clothing are being left at home. I haven't used this particular model, but I do have experience with the larger Klamath 85. It's tougher than nails and possibly the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Also, the Klamath series transfers weight better than some of the more expensive packs I've used. This one weighs only 3.9 lbs, possibly the lightest frame pack you'll find for under $100. If that's too small for you, check out the KATAHDIN 70 for $109.

HIGH SIERRA SENTINEL 65 $99
I've played with a High Sierra pack once, and an old hiking buddy has been using his exclusively for nearly a decade without issue. They're comfortable, adjustable, and roomy. Also, they come with a rain fly to cover the pack with, keeping everything inside dry until the storm is over.

KELTY COYOTE 80 $139
Carrying up to 4800 cui, the pack weighs about 5.5 lbs and disperses the weight quite well. Like the Jansport, it's built to last. This pack can easily hold gear for multi-day trips. My older brother has been using a model almost identical to this one for a decade. It still looks new. A lighter option would be the JANSPORT KLAMATH 75. Just under 4 lbs. and holds 4600 cui.

This is by no means the only packs, and I'm not even saying these are the best, but this selection shows what you should be looking for, inexpensive, durable packs that hold between 3000-4500 cubic inches and have an internal frame for support. Also, weight is an issue since you have to carry the load on a trail. A beginner pack shouldn't weight more than 5.5 lbs. and if you're only going to be on overnight trips, you should look at packs below 4 pounds.

If you want a bigger selection, go to campmor.com and use the filters to narrow down your search and arrange the packs by price.

DuctTape

I always suggest to beginners that they borrow or rent first, instead of buying a "beginner pack". If they are set on purchasing, then I suggest they buy one used for a fraction of the cost. Many gear heads will get new packs (and other equipment) on a regualr basis and some awesome deals can be found even with top end packs. If one is patient, they can get $200 packs for under a $hundred which appear almost new. If they want new, i then suggest they shop at closeouts like steep and cheap.

steves

Nice review thanks for the efforts
I have taken a few "new" guys out and lent them gear, next trip they don't understand that it's my gear and they need to buy their own. For some unknown reason they think just because I have several packs that I have Extra ones???

ppine

Forester
Steve needs some new friends.

It is a lot better to lend someone a decent pack for their first trip, than to have them try to get by with a cheap one.

I have had the same problem with fishing equipment.

ChadTower

Steve needs some new friends.

It is a lot better to lend someone a decent pack for their first trip, than to have them try to get by with a cheap one.

I have had the same problem with fishing equipment.

Heh, better be some damn good friends to lend out serious fishing gear to a beginner. The type of friends that might loan you their wife. Probably not the dog but the wife for sure.

Barney

Nice choices for sure! I would also like to add Teton Sports backpacks. They have them in 55 and 65 liters and they are even cheaper than those above, yet still durable enough.

Gondor

Even Chinese backpacks can be good for beginners. Spending $30 bucks for a backpack is enough in my opinion. As you get more experienced you will know what to look for in a new pack. But if you get used to high quality backpack from the start, you'll never be able to determine what is wrong with those cheaper ones.

woodsman

I'd also recommend Coleman, I have only had good experiences with their products. As far as Chinese backpacks are concerned, stay away from them. Carrying a 30 pound pack in your hands because the straps broke, is not a fun way to spend your trip.

Gerry

Renting or borrowing a backpack at first is a great suggestion. I went through three of them before I finally found one that fit me. I ended up with a Coleman and have been as happy as I can be ever since.

Gondor

Some people prefer those external backpacks and you can sometimes find them on eBay or in surplus stores. They are super cheap and super great, especially for beginners.

ponderosa

Nothing wrong with less expensive gear. I hiked with cheap gear for my entire childhood and a good part of adulthood. I will say that the good stuff is awfully nice to have though. I think if someone has a good idea of what they're getting into and is reasonably certain that backpacking is something they are going to enjoy (plenty of prior experience hiking and camping), they expect to go more than a few nights a year, and they can afford it, it's better to buy really good gear up front than to have to upgrade everything at some point, ultimately spending more money in the long run.

Hikenhunter

Some people prefer those external backpacks and you can sometimes find them on eBay or in surplus stores. They are super cheap and super great, especially for beginners.
External Frame backpacks have their place. There is nothing wrong with an external frame pack. They can handle heavy loads better. they can handle gear for multi-day trips. They do not keep your load as compact as an interior frame pack and interior frame packs do help with balance in rough terrain. I use both and have never had a real issue withb either.

Gondor

External Frame backpacks have their place. There is nothing wrong with an external frame pack. They can handle heavy loads better. they can handle gear for multi-day trips. They do not keep your load as compact as an interior frame pack and interior frame packs do help with balance in rough terrain. I use both and have never had a real issue withb either.
I know most people don't care for ergonomics and how your pack rides on your back which is why they buy cheap gear. It is a pity those people are only left with internal variants because there are rarely external backpacks on the market these days.

IndianaHiker

Main thing about a pack is fit. If it don't fit it is worthless at any price no matter how high or low. That being said If some one is getting into this three items to not skimp on in my opinion Pack, Boots,Sleeping bag. I have gone cheap on all three and all three have been replaced. At that rate I really didn't save any money.

swebob

Im not a backpacker but i have been keeping up with "Sticks Blog" and he has some very useful info and you have to check out the backpack he using that is super light weight and just watch his video of how he sets up his backpack and the contents.. This is how I pack… | Stick's Blog

I have to say he uses some high dollar gear ..

Last edited:

Gondor

Im not a backpacker but i have been keeping up with "Sticks Blog" and he has some very useful info and you have to check out the backpack he using that is super light weight and just watch his video of how he sets up his backpack and the contents.. This is how I pack… | Stick's Blog

I have to say he uses some high dollar gear ..
That is the problem with high priced gear. Some people tend to go ultralight, but the problem with that goes like this, for example: To buy a reliable stuff sack you need to spend 15$. For a company to shave 2oz from that 7oz sack will you cost you 30$. Yes, it's only 2oz but do that with every piece of gear you have and you'll be 5lbs and 500$ lighter.

But you will sacrifice durability for that as well.

DuctTape

Lightweight gear doesn't have to be expensive, nor be made with hi tech materials. For example the lightest cook pot I own is also the cheapest, the infamous walmart grease pot. While Aluminum dents more than titanium, the dents do not affect functionality and one can't beat the price differential (plus it is lighter). When it comes to backpacks, often the heavier packs are more expensive due to all the extra pockets, straps etc... Again, my lightest pack is a frameless pack made by Fanatic Fringe (now discontinued) it cost $70. The only place where lightweight and cost is highly correlated is with sleeping bags. Down is more expensive than any comparable synthetic insulation (of equal weight and/or warmth). Tents can be both proportional and inversely proportional with weight/cost. Easier and cheaper way to cut weight and cost with shelter is to use a tarp system or bivy bag. This takes experience though and not for the faint of heart in less than optimal conditions. In the past I have seen "contests" whereby people would generate gear lists for under and certain weight and under a certain $ amount. The purpose was to show that lightweight didn't have to be expensive.

Grandpa

. In the past I have seen "contests" whereby people would generate gear lists for under and certain weight and under a certain $ amount. The purpose was to show that lightweight didn't have to be expensive.
Yes, I saw a blog where a guy had a goal to get under 10 lbs for under $100. However, I refuse to steal toilet paper from the McDonald's restroom and I prefer to pay 50cents for a lexan spoon than rely on the cheap plastice from Arby's. I did, however, use one of his ideas by replacing extra nalgene bottles with used soda pop bottles.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Main thing about a pack is fit. If it don't fit it is worthless at any price no matter how high or low. That being said If some one is getting into this three items to not skimp on in my opinion Pack, Boots,Sleeping bag. I have gone cheap on all three and all three have been replaced. At that rate I really didn't save any money.
I'm far from a beginner but my go to pack is a Kelty Coyote (price: $82.00). Why? Because it fits like it was made for me. The most uncomfortable pack I own is a ULA Ohm (price $187.00). Price is not always a good indicator for gear selection. But as always, YMMV.

DuctTape

Yes, I saw a blog where a guy had a goal to get under 10 lbs for under $100. However, I refuse to steal toilet paper from the McDonald's restroom and I prefer to pay 50cents for a lexan spoon than rely on the cheap plastice from Arby's. I did, however, use one of his ideas by replacing extra nalgene bottles with used soda pop bottles.
Some ideas border on ridiculous and are ethically questionable. Your lexan spoon is a great example though, they are only 50 cents instead of the $5 titanium ones which are actually heavier.