Best exercises to do before riding?

Gabbie

I haven't ridden in some time and hoping to start soon. I found a place that gives lessons that isn't to expensive. I know how sore you can end up if you haven't been horseback riding in a long time so wondered if there were some sort of exercises that could be done to help prevent some of the soreness?

Gwen

I don't know if there are exercises that can prevent soreness but moderation will help. Just like any work out, you have to take it easy the first time, and gradually build up muscle tolerance.

ppine

Forester
Stretch a lot and work on your core muscles. Walking and running are helpful, but the best thing is lots of riding. Get off and walk 5-10 minutes per hour like the Cavalry did.

Riding is like snowshoeing in that their are certain muscles that get used in ways that are not normally in play. Try to ease into it. Riding a few hours each week ahead of a trip will help a lot.

Last edited:

DMan

The best tip is like ppine said. Be sure to take a break and get off of the horse and walk around for a few minutes every hour or so. And build up your time on a horse slowly. If you're used to riding an hour a day and all of a sudden you spend the whole day riding, you're going to feel it for sure.

Marshmallow

I think it's such a romantic idea to think about climbing on a horse and setting off into the sunset. When I think about how sore I would be after just an hour or so of bouncing around up there, I have quite different thoughts. I'll stick to walking.