Best fishing lures

Joe S.

What fishing lure seems to catch you the most fish? I would have to say that I do best with the Rapala X-Rap. I have caught lots of different species with these in particular.

wvbreamfisherman

Hmmmm tough question. I'd have to say a silver or red and white spoon, a Lazy Ike, a floating Rapala, a Mepps spinner and the little Trout Magnet soft tail jigs. (for non-flyfshing).

If I only have those, I wouldn't feel undergunned.

If you held a gun to my head and made me pick one, it would either be the spoon or the spinner, I suppose... rerally hard to pick just one!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't think it's the lure so much as the way it's used. You have to know how to work it. I have an old homemade lure that was cut from a broomstick at a 45 degree angle to make it dive. It's painted red with some silver spots on it. It's great for pike and largemouth.

Predator fish will hit stuff just because it's moving but the way it moves will have a lot to do with the number of strikes.

wvbreamfisherman

I don't think it's the lure so much as the way it's used. You have to know how to work it. I have an old homemade lure that was cut from a broomstick at a 45 degree angle to make it dive. It's painted red with some silver spots on it. It's great for pike and largemouth.

Predator fish will hit stuff just because it's moving but the way it moves will have a lot to do with the number of strikes.
I agree. I think that the lures I mentioned do a good job of mimicking the flash and motion of prey.

Certainly a good presentation can provoke a strike. After all, a lot of the flies that do a good job of catching fish don't reperesent anything in particular.

Cappy

I agree whole heartedly wiht you guys presentation is more important than the actual bait. A great way to learn presentation that I was taught as a kid is find a cricket or grass hopper and walk to the bank or end of the dock and throw it in. This was a fun activity for me as a kid. Watch the bug swim back to the bank watch how it moves and see if it makes it back or if a perch or something will hit it. My favorite fishing method is with top water popping bugs for Bass and Bream with a flyrod. My most productive method is with a lead headed jig and gummy tail under a popping cork in brackish water for specks and red fish. Dont forget live bait either. Shiners under a cork for crappie is also a favorite of mine. Not my favorite way to fish but yields my favorite fish to eat

wvbreamfisherman

I like to fish a rubber-legged spider for bream. Around here a black body with white legs is a killer. It will catch bass too. A deer-hair bug or cork-body popping bug with some rubber legs is a good one too.

Those Trout Magnet mini-jigs with a yellow or white gummy body will slay the crappie in the spring.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

If I had to pick just one lure, I would choose a Rapala...one that can be fished underwater...and is about four to five inches long. I've had excellent 'luck' with them on pickerel and northern pike.

Otherwise, I would choose a small spinner for trout.

Can't comment on flies, as I don't use or tie them anymore.

And if you wish to consider live bait as a lure, minnows and nightcrawlers would be my favorites. I'd fish the nightcrawlers on a snell with three in-line hooks on it, and let it gently flow with the current. Worked great for me.

For steelheads, for example, the salmon/steelhead egg bait...real or artificial (depending on state law) works real good.

My uncle...who was an avid sportsman...believed that the bigger the minnow (the live bait)...the bigger the fish you would catch. He was right on both counts...!!

Cappy

Ýa right about rubber legs Bream i am a huge fan and avid believer in them for top water poppers teh longer teh better. They create those almost undteectable ripples that fish key on. I consider them my secret weopen when fly fishing:tinysmile_fatgrin_t OOOOOOPS!!!!!! secrets out:tinysmile_tongue_t:

ppine

Forester
In the West, the most dependable lure is probably a worm, especially a nightcrawler. There is a science involved which I have recently started to learn. They can be floated with an inflator, threaded on a hook and cut in pieces to look like a leech.

I like needlefish, kastmasters, rooster tails, dardevils, torpedos, but sometimes it is the color that is important. Jay Fair flies, wooly buggers, golden stones, hoppers, elk hair caddis and various nymphs work on the fly rod.

Joe S.

My all-time favorite last-resort bait is Velveeta cheese. Sounds like some Velveeta stuck on the hook of the painted piece of broomstick lure would be a sure winner.....! Bet me?

LunaticFringeInc

Probably the one I catch the most fish with and the widest variety of species with is a 1/8th ounce Road Runner type Jig with a flo-red head and a white solid body soft plastic tube. I have several other favorites but this one is hard to beat in most situations.

ppine

Forester
When you get to a place that has little if any fishing pressure, like on a long pack trip or in Alaska on a remote river the lures hardly matter. Those are the great fishing trips where everything works and the time of day is not that important either.

DuctTape

If I had to pick one and only one it would be a #2 Mepps Aglia gold dressed. Unlike other lures which mimic bait, the spinner entices the strike so even when a fish isn't "hungry" they will attack the spinner.

Grandpa

I don't fish much anymore, but a #2 red/white mepps along with an asortment of flys are always along when I do.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
I am saddened to hear that you don't fish much anymore. I would encourage you to take out the grandkids and teach them the life long gift of fishing. We know you are an excellent teacher. Fishing is a format for getting to know someone better.