Best method to warm up ?

Yab9

What do you guys do to warm up in your tent? I bring a blanket and a good thick sleeping bag but during wintertime it tends to be cold anyway. What tricks do you usually use to warm up and not freeze during the night ?

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Wear a winter hat like a fur-lined Mad Bomber. Eat a hearty dinner with some fat in it, stay hydrated, don't drink much, and sleep with dogs. Make sure your pad is up to the conditions. Set up your tent for morning sun. The most important advice is to sleep in a lean-to so you can build a fire in the morning without getting out of bed.

Last edited:

Esperahol

Well, you need a consenting partner and a good-sized sleeping bag to start. You may also want to make sure nobody is going to be too disturbed by the sounds that might be made. After that is checked off, you are going to need to... well just drop me a line. I don't think this appropriate for this forum.

Grandpa

What do you guys do to warm up in your tent? I bring a blanket and a good thick sleeping bag but during wintertime in tends to be cold anyway. What tricks do you usually use to warm up and not freeze during the night ?
Bring a thicker bag and heavier blanket:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I like to wear a full baselayer to bed. Keeps me warmer at night and gives more protection until I get my clothes on when it's time to get up. A hot water bottle also helps to warm the bag up when you go to bed.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
Western Mountaineering sleeping bag and a warm nalgene bottle of water in the footbox.
Cocoa with Wild Turkey also adds comfort.

Judy Ann

Walk around and warm up before bed, but don't get sweaty. Wool socks. Warm clothes. Extra polartech blanket. Closed cell pad beneath the inflatable one can also be used by the fire to sit on and prevent heat loss. Have your cooking gear ready to go when you wake up and a fire ready to start if you have time before taking off on the next leg of your journey. Don't drink too much water before bed cause it's a bummer having to leave a warm sleeping bag to take a midnight walk!

Grandpa

But if you do have to take that midnight walk, get up and do it. It takes calories to maintain the heat on that waste that is better spent keeping you warm.

Judy Ann

But if you do have to take that midnight walk, get up and do it. It takes calories to maintain the heat on that waste that is better spent keeping you warm.
Additionally, I don't get back to sleep procrastinating the inevitable.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Pathfinder1

Walk around and warm up before bed, but don't get sweaty. Wool socks. Warm clothes. Extra polartech blanket. Closed cell pad beneath the inflatable one can also be used by the fire to sit on and prevent heat loss. Have your cooking gear ready to go when you wake up and a fire ready to start if you have time before taking off on the next leg of your journey. Don't drink too much water before bed cause it's a bummer having to leave a warm sleeping bag to take a midnight walk!

Hi...

Spoken like a true pioneer...!! And under 'warm clothes', I'm sure you were also talking about a hat, eh?

Esperahol

This is the ONLY answer.
Well now, I can think of at least ten solutions and really only four are strictly illegal. I mean two of those are only really illegal in like six states and the other are more of technicality. What were talking about again?

shaun

I use multiple layers of clothing to keep warm in my tent. I have a very warm sleeping bag and I like to wear wool clothing to keep warm. I have a 100% wool sweater which keeps me nice and warm. Wool is good because it traps air between the fibers, insulating the body.