Best pack?

hikingprincess

I am in the market for a new backpack but I am just wondering what might be the best. I do some light to heavy hiking and a lot of camping. I only want to invest in 1 pack for all the activities but I'm not sure what to buy.

Michael

I don't know if it's the best, but I'm really happy with my Osprey Kestrel 48.

I've used it for a couple of overnights, and it's tight but fits everything I need. Last night's load included a ground pad, sleeping bag, tent, a heavy fleece, extra blanket, pillow, saw, first aid kit, tarp, two litres of water, food for three people, and various odds and ends. It was a little tight, but I had no issues fitting everything.

If I cut down a bit, I think I could carry enough food for myself for a couple of days in addition to all that.

It's also very comfortable. There's plenty of padding without being bulky. The bit that's against your back is pretty well designed to increase air flow. It's easy to fit snugly so that it doesn't slide around.

Good points:

Lots of little compartments. Two pockets on the outside of the top, one on the inside. Two side pockets that run the height of the whole thing and are much roomier than they appear. The belt has two pouches, each the size of a fist. Lots of points to attach stuff on the outside. Comfortable as all get out. Attached, removable rain cover. Two pockets that each easily fit a 1L water bottle, plus an elastic mesh pocket that's large enough for a third litre or a long sleeve shirt. Hydration bladder compatible (large enough for 3L bladder).

Bad points:

The top cover is too snug, and sewn to the main body rather than attached by adjustable straps. This makes it a little awkward to get it closed, especially if the pack is full. The spot for the hydration bladder is pretty tight, and you'd need to put the bladder inside before packing the main body of the pack. The bottom cinch straps overlap the side water pockets, so you've got to cinch it after your bottles are in, then removing them loosens up the straps.

Overall:

The goods far outweigh the bads. I really love my pack, and I'm very glad that I bought the thing.

Best uses:

It's just too big for a short hike; you'd never fill that much room. It's very roomy for a day hike, with plenty of space for water, food, picnic gear, etc. It's just perfect for an overnight, unless you're a gear horse. If you pack light and well, you could do a weekend. Unless you have good foraging skills or are near enough to civilization to go back and resupply, I wouldn't go longer than a weekend without a bigger pack.

I have read reviews of the same pack, and climbers seem to love the thing for day hikes followed by climbing. I cannot comment on this first hand, but I thought I would mention it.

sh4d0wm4573ri7

A brand name quality pack will last long time I have a Kelty that is over 20 yrs and lately have been useing Snugpaks take your time find one that fits you and is large enough for your needs

Carl17

I use a REI Flash 65. Great pack, light, big, easy to load and unload. Use it for day hikes and overnighters

IndianaHiker

I have a North Face that I like as well as a Kelty. However what matters most is the fit of the back. Just because I like a certain maker doesn't mean that their back will work for you. Go to a store and try some one. Please find a stor where the staff know waht they are doing not a Dicks Sporting Goods or Bass Pro but a store that caters to hikers. Also here is some good info.

How to Choose a Backpack: Expert Advice from REI

woodsman

In my opinion at a certain price point the best just comes down to your specific needs and preferences not the quality and functionality of the gear in question.

carolinawanderwoman

Bad*** Chick on the Trail
The original poster has probably already gotten her pack, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I only started backpacking a few years ago and my first pack was a Lowe Alpine that did great for 8 days in Glacier Nat'l Park. But this year I upgraded to an Osprey Ariel 65 and the difference is amazing. I had it fitted at REI prior to purchase (it was on sale for less than $200) and have used it a few times on 1-3 nighters in the NC mountains, both in warm weather and frigid cold. It fits like a dream, holds everything I need, is fairly lightweight, and is built to allow air flow between my back and the pack. I love it and will probably be a loyal Osprey customer from now on.

Refrigerator

That's a nice Pack carolinawanderwoman/ Osprey is one of the top packs on the market today. I sometimes use my 110 liter expedition Osprey Argon for extended trips and carry that extra gear with no problem with comfort and quality.

hikinmike

Do they still make backpacks that incorporate a detachable day-pack in their design? I had a friend who used one and it seemed very versatile.