Best product to fight Mosquitoes!

LovingNature

We've done a lot of tent camping and trailer camping and no matter which one you do there are still those pesky Mosquitoes! Have you found a good product to make them go away or how do you keep them at bay?

Grandpa

I don't have a lot of problem with them as long as there is other meat and blood present. But I like Sawyers, and the Off Sportsman with deet when backpacking. Ben's is good as well, so my friends say. I can testify better about Ben's next week as that will be my primary this trip.

I do not like any of the Repel brand as they seem to sweat off way too fast for me.

Last edited:

Tigger

3M Ultrathon on skin and Permethrin based spray on clothing. I have done numerous testing on different products and research over the last 20 years and this is the best I can find.

eyebp

Senator
3M Ultrathon on skin and Permethrin based spray on clothing. I have done numerous testing on different products and research over the last 20 years and this is the best I can find.
What he said. And I only know that because he said it before. Also anything with a high concentration of DEET will work. But the scat is poison and SWM's suggestion works just as good if not better. Probably better.

bachse

I never use a high concentration of DEET it is terrible for anyone's skin and a lot of people have negative reactions to it (turning bright red and feeling like your skin is burning). I've found that you don't need high concentrations of DEET so much as to regularly apply it. So I use Skinsations, which is a super cheesy name, but it has a low dosage of DEET in it and a lot of aloe and it smells pretty good. I've used it in Montana and Northern CA and even Costa Rica and it works just great for me.

sticks

Señor Member
I don't want anything on my body that smells good while in the backcountry....Bears like to eat things that smell good.

limbs

All I know is that I bought some stuff last year. I had a ton left over so I saved it for this year. I think it must have went bad though because I am getting eaten up when I wear it. As I remember it, the stuff worked fine last year.

Newanderthal

Repel 100. It's 100% DEET. not sticky like OFF, but works ten times better. I used it while canoeing in the south Louisiana swamps in the summer. Our mosquitoes ignore deepwoods OFF, but this stuff works.

Refrigerator

I don't want anything on my body that smells good while in the backcountry....Bears like to eat things that smell good.
For a really good Bear attractant....USE any thing with Citronella in it....Bears love it.
oh and YES to your brand of TOOTH PASTE TOO... they love smelling your breath at night while they stroll through camp and outer perimeter.....mmmmm they love tooth paste...oh and I almost forgot about that smell good toilet paper you use...they love to wipe there teeth with it and melts in there mouth...

what sticks says is sooo true....

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
Any DEET based repellent will keep them away. Everything I've read says the more DEET the better, up to about 40 percent, after which there is little additional benefit.

I like Ultrathon the best, it seems to last the longest.

sticks

Señor Member
For a really good Bear attractant....USE any thing with Citronella in it....Bears love it.
oh and YES to your brand of TOOTH PASTE TOO... they love smelling your breath at night while they stroll through camp and outer perimeter.....mmmmm they love tooth paste...oh and I almost forgot about that smell good toilet paper you use...they love to wipe there teeth with it and melts in there mouth...

HA! How about Dr. Bronners peppermint soap? Or any of those scented soaps...understand I am not knocking the product because it is great stuff. I do use the Unscented Baby-Mild.

I just never understood why people want to lather themselves down with a bear attractant...specially in Grizz country!

Chomp Chomp...

FreeWilly

I really think your diet has something to do with attracting them. There are times when I'm not bothered, but then other times when all I do is keep itching from the bites. I know stuff we put on our bodies affects different things. When I shampoo with this expensive tea tree shampoo, I get bombarded by flys at bbq's. I pay all that money to be famous with insects I guess. Anyhow, the things I use for mosquitos are Deep Woods Off, and this Skin So Soft stuff from Avon. Both do a good job if I'm not too lazy to put it on.

guns4570

I have read that Bounce dryer sheets will repel insects and other small four lagged critters. I don't know about them attracting bears. I know that when I was in the army all of the insect repellent that we were issued with Deet in it said in the instructions" do not apply to skin. Only apply to clothing.

CatsEye

I hate to say it but I can't use DEET. So far, I just live with the bites. I don't seem to get bit much so I must not be tender enough. :) I have enough sour stuff in my system that I probably don't taste very good.

Newanderthal

spraying deet on your clothes works just as well as on your skin. deet blocks the smell of carbon dioxide from your breath and so the mosquitoes go elsewhere to hunt. I spray my shirt and pants and it works fine.

DragonAge

What?

seriously? Citronella? Wow, I have been using that stuff for years and never knew that. I guess I have been getting lucky. Now, toothpaste I get cause I know they will chew on wild mint.

greybeard58

If you are not moving, such as sitting around camp, fishing or still/stand hunting, the Thermacell units work extremly well and are scent free and do not coat your skin in poison. However, if you are hiking or moving around you have no choice but to use some sort of spray on repellent. I agree with some others who posted above that Repel seems to sweat-off and become ineffective pretty quickly and have found that Deep Woods Off works much better. I have also read recently that Listerene mouthwash works extremly well when applied by a mist spray so I will try that next since it's main ingredient is alcohol and not Deet.

wvbreamfisherman

I second the Ultrathon! It even worked pretty well on blackflies when i was salmon fishing in Quebec. Fortunately, the fly season was almost over when we were there. I have a nasty reaction to blackfly bites. The swell up and make a big knot that itches at first and then is sore as a boil for 2-3 days. I only got bitten on skin that I missed with the ultrathon spray.

One lady that was with us got them up under the hair in the back of her neck, and she was miserable.

If you have a bad reaction to deet, than I think the picardin works pretty well. Never tried it myself.